TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get this rolling. Its way in advance, but I figure it gives people time to plan accordingly, being that its 3hrs to the trail head, and 3hrs back, and a LONG day on the trail. READ: You'll need gas money...LOL

Sorry for the tentative dates. It has to be because of the snow. This area of the state is a "banana belt" and gets little snow, but even a few inches will make it EXTREMELY difficult to impassable. So, I will be checking on the conditions there before hand, and if things are good, we'll go on the 29th of March, if not, we will try for the following weekend.

Now for the not so fun part. I am going to limit the run.

You must have at least a rear locker. Sliders are VERY recommended. Front bumpers as well. Rear bumpers are a plus. Let me put it this way, if you don't have armor, you better be okay with rocker and front bumper damage. If you have a stock rear, its not likely, but as always, a possibility. Tires are 31's MIN. 33's are better. You WILL bang stuff with 31's.

If you don't have tow points FRONT AND REAR, a spare tire, or a well running truck, don't bother. I will turn you around at the meeting spot.

If you feel like you really want to come, but feel unsure about your truck, post up or PM me.

This trail is LONG. MAKE CERTAIN you have:

A BIG lunch. I will be bringing enough food for lunch and then some.

WATER. I recommend 2 quarts MIN. If you don't drink much, 2 quarts will probably be fine.

WARM CLOTHES. I really don't need to go into why you need that stuff.

Trail Description:

This is one of my all time TOP favorite trails. It is BEAUTIFUL, challenging, but not insane, and really, really fun.

The first mile is rough, but fun. After that, there are some CLASSIC obstacles, such as a rock pile, Waterfall/WhaleTail, The gulch, baby double whammy, and a chute.

Let me caution you, if you REALLY don't like off camber, this may not be a good one to do. The last major obstacle is the chute, and there is no bypass, at least not as of last summer.

You may be thinking that this jeep can just go through to the driver side. You can't, at least not without 40" tires. If volcom comes, he should be able to. The whole obstacle is filled with silt. Let me put it this way. I could not go through the middle, with a belly pan, 4.7 Low range, and BOTH ARB's engaged. I just sat and spun. So you really do have to take it on the extreme passenger, or winch it. I may end up winching.

The rock pile, and baby double whammy are BOTH optional. Completely.

Waterfall has a VERY easy line, but is still challenging to a less built truck. But fun, not scary.

The gulch is where having no armor will kill you. There are numerous rocks, and roots that must be scaled, and sliders/rockers are in direct contact with several. It is tight, but nothing that i would call a "body snatcher". Sliders and a front bumper will make it a blast.

Here is the trail damage report.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1

All interested, post up!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You may be thinking that this jeep can just go through to the driver side. You can't, at least not without 40" tires. If volcom comes, he should be able to. The whole obstacle is filled with silt. Let me put it this way. I could not go through the middle, with a belly pan, 4.7 Low range, and BOTH ARB's engaged. I just sat and spun. So you really do have to take it on the extreme passenger, or winch it. I may end up winching.
I might be down for that run. However, I don't have a rear tow point as of right now or a spare tire. My dad may be taking my 4Runner to Moab that week also so I might not have a rig :D

Here's some more pictures of OCG. It's a great trail with tough lines for the built guys and easy lines for the smaller rigs.
Rockfrogs Chinaman Run last Nov.

I'll let you know if I'll be able to make it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds fun! Count me in if I can get some sliders on before then.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be down for that run. However, I don't have a rear tow point as of right now or a spare tire.
Well, if you don't mind a frame tug in the rear (I'm guessing not, since your body has seen better days) then that works for me. As for the spare, since you are running 40" Iroks (right?) I wouldn't worry too much. those things hold shape at zero PSI. As long as you trailer, I'd be okay with that.

Please don't take my post as being condescending or a jerk, It's just that I want to make sure we all have a good time, and no one has to leave a truck on the trail while we go get stuff.

I hope I came off that way.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, if you don't mind a frame tug in the rear (I'm guessing not, since your body has seen better days) then that works for me. As for the spare, since you are running 40" Iroks (right?) I wouldn't worry too much. those things hold shape at zero PSI. As long as you trailer, I'd be okay with that.

Please don't take my post as being condescending or a jerk, It's just that I want to make sure we all have a good time, and no one has to leave a truck on the trail while we go get stuff.

I hope I came off that way.
No worries. I don't want to be the guy that shows up without a rear tow point and no spare and get to run just because I've got 40's and JoeBlow just got turned away for not having the same equipment I was missing.

I completely understand the reasoning behind the equipment requirements. We had a 16 year old kid show up in a stock Jeep truck (MJ) on our last run in November. This was his first 4wheeling trip besides some easy dirt roads. To make a long story (or day :D ) short, he ended up breaking and it took quite a bit of work to get him off of the trail. Most of the guys didn't get back to Denver until 1am. That makes for a really long day.

Keeping the requirements at a rear locker, tow points, and some armor minimize that risk of breaking and being on the trail all day and all night. Plus, it's more fun to be 4wheeling rather than recovering a broken truck.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Isaac I think it is wise to set realistic expectations as to what kind of truck can do this trail. Otherwise it can get to be no run real fast for those who are prepared. At anyrate if you are in the group that does not have a truck that could go, I am sure there will be extra seats available so you can ride along. So keep that in mind. :D

I won't be signing tippy up, simply because I doubt she'll be ready, but I imagine Ron (troy's rig) will be up for it. :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Also do we need to consider a true rear locker vs just a rear limmited slip? Not to split hairs but there is a difference there...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Volcom, thanks for understanding. What I meant by my post is that to me, it seems like you have the requirements, just not in the same way. You can strap a truck off the the rear xmember on the frame, but the potential for damage is there. I figured you didn't care. So, if you didn't, you would indeed have a rear tow point. I'm also pretty sure you can drive on those tires flat, so thats why I said that. However, if you can't, it'd be better if you have one.

Molly, I was really hoping you and troy would sign up. I got worried I'd picked a bad date since neither of you replied.

Also, you are absolutely correct. It MUST be a full locker. LSD is out.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yes, the requirements are, as you say, to keep the day fun, and not outrageous. This trail, as you said, has potential to break trucks in a hurry. Being under gunned, or under prepared means a long day.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You can strap a truck off the the rear xmember on the frame, but the potential for damage is there. I figured you didn't care. So, if you didn't, you would indeed have a rear tow point. I'm also pretty sure you can drive on those tires flat, so thats why I said that. However, if you can't, it'd be better if you have one.
You're right, I don't care :D I should be able to drive those tires flat but I haven't tested that yet.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I want in. I was really hoping to have my belly skids by now, but Mr BB is draggin ass. I guess I can call and give him this deadline, and see what happens....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to have you all!

So far we have for sure:

AxleIke
devinsixtyseven
FJ Cruiser
redrunner/lysmachia combo

Planning but not for sure
TurboRunner
Volcom
Jacket

AWESOME GUYS!!! This will be so fun

I also STRONGLY encourage people to grab seats if they can. You will LOVE this trail, and it is well worth the ride!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Jacket no need for a belly skid on this trail, just the low hanging fruit from the transfer case to the tip of the front bumper. Most of the really rough stuff is optional ob"sticles". Last time I was there I tagged a few of the skids and both sliders, one side of the front bumper that was probably avoidable, and one of my rims...also totally avoidable.

Yeah Isaac this time should be a lot better :xpimp:

OCG is like an easy dirt road interrupted ever couple hundred feet with part-snatching technical peril, and only if you choose to partake. There are only a few "required" obstacles...you can drive right past the rock pile if you want.

Lessee...so far we have one capable rig, a rock anchor, an FJ, and another capable rig...yup, should be a good time :xsmokin1:

·
Registered
898 Posts
i definitely want to grab a seat on this one.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jacket no need for a belly skid on this trail, just the low hanging fruit from the transfer case to the tip of the front bumper. Most of the really rough stuff is optional ob"sticles". Last time I was there I tagged a few of the skids and both sliders, one side of the front bumper that was probably avoidable, and one of my rims...also totally avoidable.

Yeah Isaac this time should be a lot better :xpimp:

OCG is like an easy dirt road interrupted ever couple hundred feet with part-snatching technical peril, and only if you choose to partake. There are only a few "required" obstacles...you can drive right past the rock pile if you want.

Lessee...so far we have one capable rig, a rock anchor, an FJ, and another capable rig...yup, should be a good time :xsmokin1:
x2 except the first mile. The first mile is pretty much nonstop challenge. Its not super hard, nor is there anything super big, but it does require careful tire placement.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I should have 32's by then, have 31's now.

I have two 1/4" skid plates that stop where the stock ones do. The transfer case only has the almost worthless stock skid plate. I am stock facory height for an 04 reg cab 4x4 w/the biggest factory tires (36" at the top of wheel wells).

Rest of equipment is listed below.

What are my chances of making the run witout major damage?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts