TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I changed my brake pads last (6 mo. ago) my rotors were a little warped (slight vibe when coming to a full stop) but I had them turned and they were fine for a few months. Now they are warped again and worse then before. The pads that are on there are fine with plenty of life left in them. Is if fine if I put in new rotors while leaving the existing pads?

The rotors are stock rotors. Pads are from WheelersOffroad.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I wouldn't.... pads aren't that expensive, I'd just replace them to go along with your new rotors... BTW, hit up the site sponsors for parts... TRDParts4U or Toyota of Houston... both great places to get parts and get a discounted price too! :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes you can. Would I, NO. Why change one and not the other? Better to run all new, than some new? I would replace with OEM since they last how long (miles) for you? Much cheaper and OEM is made for your rig. See you have an 03, my 03 has 42K and still have 12-15K left with factory set?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
Is if fine if I put in new rotors while leaving the existing pads?
Yup, I've done this before. Back when my rotors would warp because the lug nuts were over torqued, I turned them at least once between pad changes. The factory pads last quite a while, but rotors seem to warp much quicker. You can do it with no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yup, I've done this before. Back when my rotors would warp because the lug nuts were over torqued, I turned them at least once between pad changes. The factory pads last quite a while, but rotors seem to warp much quicker. You can do it with no ill effects.
X2. Rotors good 4 at least one turn. Thought you turned once already? My bust. Good call ShowStop :p .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The factory pads only lasted to ~40k, I have ~50k on the truck now and its just been getting worse. Looks like I will just have to replace both pads and rotors. I'll probably just go back to OEM pads too while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Wow. I think the pads on my truck are stock and it's got 73k miles. Of course it's a manual tho.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have to admit that I have many times replaced pads without turning rotors with no problems, but would not do new rotors and old pads because quite often the pads don't uniformly wear flat and they aren't that expensive compared to the rotors.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have to admit that I have many times replaced pads without turning rotors with no problems, but would not do new rotors and old pads because quite often the pads don't uniformly wear flat and they aren't that expensive compared to the rotors.
X2 IMO you should NEVER compromise when it comes to brakes! It can be done, but why? Pads are a very minimal expense compared to wrecking your rig. Old pads don't work well with new rotors. :2cents:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you bed-in the brakes properly when you changed pads? Most of the time when you "warp" rotors, the rotors themselves really aren't really warped, but the pads have transfered material unevenly across the surface of the rotor.

To bed in the new brakes, install new pads and rotors and go for a quick drive. Brake heavily from 35mph to 5mph or so three or five times, then again from 60mph to 5mph, then another set at the slower speed. The point of this is to get the pads up to and over temprature and transfer an even layer of pad material to the rotor face. It also cures the pad compounds. Get home using the brakes as little as possible and DO NOT park the car using the e-brake. DO NOT sit at a light or in the driveway while resting on the brakes. Doing either of these two things will cause the pad to stick to the rotor and cause a high spot, causing vibrations. Doing this will make the brakes work better and last longer, and should stop them from warping in the future. This is also a prime reason why you turn rotors when installing new pads, you're getting the old pad layer off of the rotor and giving the new pads a nice fresh surface to adhere to.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Wasn't sure about your brake bedding arguments, so I googled for more info. There's quite a bit of interesting info out there. One site listed the different bedding recommendations given by various brake manufacturers. It reminded me of a small sentence somewhere in the Tacoma owners manual which says something like "do not brake heavily in the first 500 miles" or something similar. That is in line with the bedding recommendation for about a half dozen brake manufacturers. So I'm guessing its the bedding procedure for Toyota's OEM brakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts