TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize "to each his own" regarding old (95-04) vs new tacos, as each may serve a different purpose or need.
So, I'll try to be succinct.
I've had an '01 since new off the lot. It's cosmetically beat but it's a tank. I love it, but it sucks on cross country road trips.
Nowadays it's a work truck, I get off road a fair amount but I no longer test its limits on the trails.
The newest tacos appear pretty solid from the parking lot inspections I've done, I think for a while after first gen they looked really plasticized.
How do the more recent years compare for ease of a home mechanic? I can do just about anything on my old taco with a few sockets.
Reliability?
Build quality?
All the electronics on modern vehicles scares me. I don't want to get stranded because my key fob got wet or something. And I don't want to spend $$$ replacing a stupid sensor that I don't care about but the truck can't run without.
Ignoring modern comfort/luxury, is a new taco worth looking into if I have a 250k mile beater that nobody but me wants to be in on road trips?
It's that time to decide...dump a few $K into the old one to "revive" it... (ie new seats)...or move on to an unknown platform.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input. The biggest "why change" is I regularly drive way off grid at high elevation to a desolate cabin in the middle of three national forests. Get stranded and it could be a survival situation. As for sensors, I hear stories. One, a neighbor's Volvo had a fob issue that was around $2k to fix. Worst job on our old trucks is AC repair iirc, removing entire dash etc. My old man has an old 944, great old car but pita to work on at all. Newer vehicles are generally more complex and difficult/costly to fix but safer in accidents.
Just sold my Lexus rx350 commuter, so back to daily driving the old beast and I got a bit too used to the modern comfort.
Ideally they'd make a simple, reliable, and safe truck. Key fobs and push button start are not necessary, at all. Same goes for lane detection, automatic wipers, TPMS sensors, digital speedometer, and probably HUD as well...and Bluetooth. Just my
opinion but there's a lot of bloatware.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That hurts to see gonerydin.
My 01 was in a frontal collision. Hood was buckled enough I could stick my head in from the side. I re-shaped the hood by taking it off and standing on it.
Front grille still intact, both headlights and radiator had to be replaced. The ARB bumper is smashed, took the brunt of it.
Somehow the airbags didn't deploy and the frame rails are unscathed.
I'll post some pics of it now. Trickiest thing was getting the hood and latch bent back so it'd close/open again.
Long story short. The ARB bumper turned out to be the best investment, saved my truck for another day. All told the accident cost about $500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts