TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BFG Mud Terrains have become too much to handle. Wet pavement is like driving on ice - not just first rain either. Hard to start without spinning them. Easy to initiate a spin in second gear too. Even third. (manual 6 spd). ABS not hard to initiate. Why? Well, those tires aren't a great wet tire to begin with, but I believe the real issue was the fact that they are now nearly 10 years old (gasp!) - 9 yrs 8 months per the tire code. Tread is still deep - they have less than 30k on them (yes, my '07 has only 33k miles on it). Unless someone else has an explanation, I have experienced a reason to replace tires every 6? or is it 7? years.

New All Terrain K02's on order. Had them on a prior Toyota and liked them. Should give better all around performance as I am not in mud that often.

(I do have to admit, the old BFGs are kind of fun to play with. But, the safety risk isn't worth it.)

- TK

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Most tire manufacturers recommend replacement after 6 years of service. Regardless of tread.
Rubber gets old, hard, and brittle. Most of the chemicals built into the tires have migrated out over time. Traction will suffer on an older tire. They have oils built into them to keep them moist and grippy. Those oils have probably migrated out as well, especially after that long.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most tire manufacturers recommend replacement after 6 years of service. Regardless of tread.
Rubber gets old, hard, and brittle. Most of the chemicals built into the tires have migrated out over time. Traction will suffer on an older tire. They have oils built into them to keep them moist and grippy. Those oils have probably migrated out as well, especially after that long.
I got 9.5 years and a little over 80K out of my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos before I replaced them last year. They still had about 4/32-5/32 left on them when I replaced them and hooked up fantastic in all weather. I replaced them about a year ago with Dueler AT Revo II's and they are just as good so far.

The only reason I replaced them before they were completely dead was I thought they were leaking air through the tires, but it turns out it was actually the painted aluminum bead on my rims was leaking air and not the tires. They leaked just as bad with the new tires until I brought them in and had the installer shop resurface my rims (Free of cost of course, since they failed to do it right originally).

This big-wheel traction reference reminds me of being a little kid back in the mid 80's and wrapping the rear wheels of my radio controlled car in scotch tape so I could drift it all over my basement floor. LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts