TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago we did a bunch of fundraising for out WFTW (Wheelers for the wounded) event. At first when Troy left for Texas I was told that the account containing about $1250 had about $350 of general COTTORA money. It turns out that this was incorrect information and that the entire balance of the account is leftover money raised for the WFTW event. This event has since fallen apart and unless something changes fairly drastically I dont see it being held again anytime soon.

With that said, the money in the account should be given to some charity that helps wounded veterans. I need to know what as a chapter the members would like to see done with the money. One option that Molly brought up would be to donate it to the Texas WFTW event that seems to be running strong for 3 years. Another option would be to keep it in Colorado and donate it to a charity here, but not knowing what is out there personally I would need input from you guys.

I should have a link to post for the Texas event in the next day or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My personal feeling is that if the money was raised in Colorado it should stay in Colorado.

There are tons of organizations here in Colorado that help wounded soldiers. One of caught my eye awhile back was service dogs for vets, the key is they are trained by inmates. So you're helping an inmate as well as a vet with a service dog. I can look for more information into the organization if the club would be interested. They are based out of Fort Collins, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
My personal feeling is that if the money was raised in Colorado it should stay in Colorado.

X2 Even if its not WFTW then maybe used to help our trail system or something. Maybe Stay the trail?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
It needs to go to a veterans organization of some sort. I feel strongly about that. I put a lot of work into that event, and Eric and I promised that the money raised would be returned to wounded vets in some form. (1st choice was to take them wheeling). I understand that you all might want to see that money stay in Colorado. Maybe a portion could be sent to a still active WFTW group. There is a VERY active group in Texas. I think there is also another very active group in California. At any rate if there isn't another WFTW event in Colorado then look at giving it to the Wounded Warrior project, or as Suz recommended the Dog training program (Which I thought was done up in BV??)

·
7,735 Posts
So the money in the CoTTORA account that wasn't turned over to the current president when Troy and Molly moved to Tx, is now needed by the Tx WFTW (with Molly being prez of the Tx Chapter)?

I guess it seems like a no brainer.. since it'll be probably be some time before Troy is back in colorado and available (along with Eric) to turn the account over to the new prez, might as well just leave it as it, let Troy withdraw the funds for use by the Tx WFTW, close the account and be done with it.

Presumably the money was raised for WFTW, even if we didn't use all of it for the Colorado event, I think it should stay allocated to WFTW, even if it happens to be in another state.

I'm not sure what's up with the club money that no longer exists (or maybe it never existed?)... but moving forward, we should have better accountability of club funds as well as any funds raised for any special event.

That's my :2cents:.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am ok with that if I see something current for the tx event. My very qiuck search today only brought up wftw texas event info from the same year we had our event here.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Doug I am not saying it should come to Texas. It just needs to go to wounded vets. It is only a coincedence that the TX WFTW program is still going strong. I am not very involved with that group here. I am completaly fine with it saying in Colorado.

Also I had thought there was $350 of club money but Troy corrected me in saying that we broke even on the cottora t-shits. So I was mis-informed from the beginning. Sorry about that.

If I am not mistaken Eric could withdraw the money too...

·
7,735 Posts
I understand Molly. It get's a little dicey when talking about money, but I am not implying that there is/was anything nefarious going on.

·
Registered
828 Posts
How about care packages sent to troops overseas based out of Ft. Carson? There are a ton of items the troops can't get overseas that they love getting.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah, it's all WFTW raised money. $410 from the first event at Matt's and $840 from the second at Petersen AFB.

I like the service dog idea - there was an article on it in one of the airline magazines, and it sounds like a great program all around.

Since we couldn't hook up before I left, FJCruzer is the only one with real access to the account as I don't have any checks, ATM card, etc.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool I will research the dog place and post up what I find. Then we will just need to get ahold of eric.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
My opinion is to keep CO $ in CO; having been "over there" I can say getting anything from the US is a blessing. You have no idea how tasty 5 pounds of CheezIts can be in lump/powder form.

>>Dan
!!!RECON!!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
^^agree X2.

·
7,735 Posts
When I was on the committee for the CO WFTW event, we had alot of trouble trying to actually get in touch with military personnel due to privacy regulations. Since we now have some here, I'm sure they know what helps the most.

Considering the number of vet's and/or active duty personnel we have active on the board these days, I'll withdraw my vote and let them pick.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still need to sit down and look into this. Via email Eric(Fjcruiser) who was another one of the main organizers for our WFTW efforts expressed that he also would like the money to stay in Colorado.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Sounds like you guys will be able to find something that works, and Eric is happy to get a cashiers check made out to whatever charity is decided upon... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts