TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a set of used 881's, N91s for my 2001 2.7L. I wanted to know what you guys suggest for lifting the rear. I would like the truck to sit level, front to back, and it will be used mostly for a daily driver, with easy to moderate trial rides on the weekends.
I'm looking for any combo of shocks, springs, shackles etc.

·
Registered
485 Posts
From what I hear the best ride would be from a leaf pack, but that isnt the cheapest route. They come in a number of different leaf counts, depending on how much of a load you carry in the bed. You could also go with an AAL, but it has a much stiffer ride (I hate my AAL).

Deaver and Alcan are the most common packs. All pro off road, wheelers offroad also make them.

For shocks, it seems like most everyone is running bilsteins, 5100s, 5150s, 7100s, etc. Donahoe is coming out with a new rear shock late february if you want to wait.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I was looking at both the OME pack and wheelers leaf packs. I have seen that there is a problem w/ the OME leaf packs moving the rear end forward? Do any other manuf. have this problem?

·
Registered
153 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
Thanks for the input. I was looking at both the OME pack and wheelers leaf packs. I have seen that there is a problem w/ the OME leaf packs moving the rear end forward? Do any other manuf. have this problem?
I've had the OME leaf packs on my 2000 xtra cab v-6 for about 3 years with no problems. The rear will sit up (height) a bit higher that the front (1/2 inch), but it really lookks good. I use this thing as a daily driver and off road and it performs great. I also like the extra load capacity. I purchased the OME 15a/b leaf packs, N85 shocks, the exhaust bracket, greasable shackle, and a set of Daystar greasable bushings for the front of the leaf packs. I got most of the stuff from fj60.com. I had to make the BPV bracket myself. It was pretty simple.

Later

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
78fj40 said:
I've had the OME leaf packs on my 2000 xtra cab v-6 for about 3 years with no problems. The rear will sit up (height) a bit higher that the front (1/2 inch), but it really lookks good. I use this thing as a daily driver and off road and it performs great. I also like the extra load capacity. I purchased the OME 15a/b leaf packs, N85 shocks, the exhaust bracket, greasable shackle, and a set of Daystar greasable bushings for the front of the leaf packs. I got most of the stuff from fj60.com. I had to make the BPV bracket myself. It was pretty simple.

Later
Have you heard of any issues with the set up moving the rear end forward? Also, could the shims be used to even out the front end of the truck?

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
I may be getting a set of used 881's, N91s for my 2001 2.7L. I wanted to know what you guys suggest for lifting the rear. I would like the truck to sit level, front to back, and it will be used mostly for a daily driver, with easy to moderate trial rides on the weekends.
I'm looking for any combo of shocks, springs, shackles etc.
Since you're wanting the truck to sit level front to back, I'd suggest a shackle for the back (Downey Rubicon or HD, Daystar, etc...). You're truck will definitely be nose high for about a week until you beat the OME's into submission.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mudferret said:
Since you're wanting the truck to sit level front to back, I'd suggest a shackle for the back (Downey Rubicon or HD, Daystar, etc...). You're truck will definitely be nose high for about a week until you beat the OME's into submission.
They are used (12-15K miles) so I am assuming they have already sagged. Plus they are coming off of a V6, and I have a 2.7L.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just noticed about the talk of the OME's and thought of a question I had about them. Are there any issues with the CV angle once the kit is on for a '99 V6 TRD?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
Yes, the OME leaf packs move the axle forward. Maybe .5"-1". Not much, and definitely not enough to cause problems. In fact, as some users have noticed, it can actually help keep tires from rubbing in the rear under compression. If the axle being moved forward is a problem for you, you can use centering shims to correct it. Roger Brown makes some.

I haven't heard of other leaf packs moving the axle forward. But most other brands of leaf packs are more expensive than the OME's, which may be a consideration.

·
Registered
153 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
Have you heard of any issues with the set up moving the rear end forward? Also, could the shims be used to even out the front end of the truck?

Thanks for all the input
No problems with moving forward that I am aware of. Unless there is a specific problem with the 2001 and newer....

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
78fj40 said:
No problems with moving forward that I am aware of. Unless there is a specific problem with the 2001 and newer....
It's an issue for '98 and newer trucks. But again, it's an issue that's not really an issue for most people who run it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
synovus said:
It's an issue for '98 and newer trucks. But again, it's an issue that's not really an issue for most people who run it.
Good information. Price is always a consideration, right! ;)
Wheelers sells OME leaf packs for $350. Any other places I can look to price compare?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
Any other places I can look to price compare?
Run a google search for OME+rear+leaf. It'll return a bunch of results, many of which are retailers. Wheelers is a good place to buy from and appear to have a good price on 'em. But I did notice that davesport.com has 'em for roughly $160 per side, for a total of $320, but I'm not sure how much shipping they'll charge compared to Wheelers. You know what you want, now you gotta do the legwork to find the price you want.

Here's a link to davesport: http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
78fj40 said:

Later
I second FJ60.com. Jeff is a good guy over there. Got mine from him, also.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
or a 3-leaf Deaver progressive AAL and a 1.25" lift greasable shackle..Works well for me..Just my .02

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Portman said:
Just noticed about the talk of the OME's and thought of a question I had about them. Are there any issues with the CV angle once the kit is on for a '99 V6 TRD?
well, any time you add a suspension lift like this the CV angles change. the problem is when the CV boot fins get jammed together (especially with ADD). When this happens, one fin will wear a groove into the other and the boot eventually splits open. With manual hubs this is not a big problem since the axles are not always in motion as they are with ADD. If you wheel a lot, however, the boots on a manual hub truck will still wear out if they are touching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
synovus said:
Run a google search for OME+rear+leaf. It'll return a bunch of results, many of which are retailers. Wheelers is a good place to buy from and appear to have a good price on 'em. But I did notice that davesport.com has 'em for roughly $160 per side, for a total of $320, but I'm not sure how much shipping they'll charge compared to Wheelers. You know what you want, now you gotta do the legwork to find the price you want.

Here's a link to davesport: http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/index.html
Thanks for the link, and all the info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I wanted to save some money right now, could I just go with a longer shackle and shock? What shackel / shock combo would I need if I wanted the truck to sit level (mind you the 881/N95s are used)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can more than one "trim packer' be used on the 881/N91s to even out the truck...so it won't be WAY "tail high" with say... the Allpro Offroad rear kit 3" of lift?
Maybe a 1.5" spacer would be better?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts