TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the old thread on OME and it seems they ride great and have exceptional articulation. To those with 882s and a bumber/winch combo, is it even worth putting a 500lb coil up front with that extra weight? I will not have an ARB, I am looking at something more like what badlands puts out. Right now I am kicking around what to put up front and I like the price of the OME over the Hoes, but its down to the two.

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
From what I have seen and heard and you having a DC, the 882s are the route to go if you are going to have the added weight of the winch and heavier bumper. If you have a V6 over a 4 cylinder, it will even be that much heavier. That is just what I have heard, though. I have a ext. cab, 4 cylinder with 881s and no extra weight, right now. I also have 3 trim packers on the drivers side and 2 on the passengers side for the sagging. I will upgrade to 882s when I get a bumper and winch. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I think this is the way I'm going to go. I have heard the OME rides great and the cost effiency will help me buy the 255 85 16s , rims and gears. Im thinking next month is the month.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ive got 882s on an 04 d-cab and they work great for me. However it sounds like others have had problems with the coils sagging when they add weight to thier front end like you are planning to do. Let this post work for a few days before you make a decision, maybe the extra $ for better adjustable coilovers is money well spent for you. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
upgrade to 882s

Yeah I am kind of in a similar situation. I put on 881s and one trim packer on each side for my extra cab v6 and was real happy with them. However recently after adding an ARB bull bar and winch up front im kind of saggin. So now im thinking of goign to an 882 or perhaps to a coil over. I sure like the ride and the offroad manners of the OME coil springs though.

I guess I also would like to here from double cab people with aftermarket bumpers and winches to see how their 882s hold up.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I also would like to here from double cab people with aftermarket bumpers and winches to see how their 882s hold up.[/QUOTE]

Even if they sag after a couple of years its not all that expensive to put on new coils with OME. Even coilovers are going to sag over time, the difference is you can adjust the preload to compensate. But then I am sure the ride and rate of sag increase as the preload on the spring does. But I am no suspension expert.

·
Registered
230 Posts
blktaco18 said:
I put on 881s and one trim packer on each side for my extra cab v6 and was real happy with them. However recently after adding an ARB bull bar and winch up front im kind of saggin.
Hey,
Just currious how much did the 881s sag with the ARB? Do you have any pics of your set up?
Cheers :xbeer3: ,
P

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have the 882's on my V6 ext cab with a winch but no bumper and they're starting to sag pretty bad. With a D-cab and winch bumper they won't last long, especially if you wheel it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I will post some pics in a day or so. I am out of town right now but will be headed home today.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I had good response from the D-cabs forum and my local forum. I have made my choice Hoes and Camburg A-arms up front and a whole OME Setup in the back. My friend Brian in New Mexico has this rear end setup and I really like the way it rides. Looking forward to next month. Again, I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
881's with weight

P1michaud said:
Hey,
Just currious how much did the 881s sag with the ARB? Do you have any pics of your set up?
Cheers :xbeer3: ,
P
Sorry I will post pics here in a little bit. I just took a few measurements and compared them to what my vehicle height was stock and what my vehicle height was without the bumper and winch just after the lift. After installing the 881s and a trim packer on each side I was sitting at about 2.5" of lift. Now after compensating for my slightly bigger tires, my 881 springs are giving me between 1-1.5" of lift. My truck sits a little bit higher in the rear than in the front right now, but i think i will hold off on any suspension changes up front for a while at least.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looking nice

blktaco18,
Nice looking rig. Thanks for the info. I'm in the same dilema right now. I've got a TJM on the way and plan on adding a winch with synthetic line later on. I do want to address the suspension first but living here in Canada with all the road salt and rust I'm hesitant to go the Camburg/Donahoe route. OME seams to be a good choice mainly due to environment reasons unless I get the new weather plated Donahoes.
Regards,
P

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. I was reading on another post here about Donahoe coilovers and I think the owner of that company or someone affiliated with them said that their next realease of coilovers will have special plating that should reduce or eliminate rust problems. However, like you I think I am going to stick with OME. I'm gonna hang on to the setup I have for a while and eventually try replacing it with 882s.
-Take Care

1 - 14 of 14 Posts