TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first off i have searched for close to 2 hours so far and have not found everything i'm looking for so i am using this as a last resort anyway i am looking at getting a ome 882's with 2" shackles its a lift package at toyteclifts.com my question is while i have the front end apart is it a good idea to go ahead and replace the front shocks or is it required and the same on the rear but i read the rear is a must other than that i got my answers with the wonderful search i just had that left thanks guys and btw i have a ARB bumper on the way so i am getting the 882 not 881

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Matt-W said:
ok first off i have searched for close to 2 hours so far and have not found everything i'm looking for so i am using this as a last resort anyway i am looking at getting a ome 882's with 2" shackles its a lift package at toyteclifts.com my question is while i have the front end apart is it a good idea to go ahead and replace the front shocks or is it required and the same on the rear but i read the rear is a must other than that i got my answers with the wonderful search i just had that left thanks guys and btw i have a ARB bumper on the way so i am getting the 882 not 881
you suck at searching, LOL

first off...OME coils will NOT support that bumper, period. I know, they advertize that the will...they are wrong.

you want a winch bumper? get some adjustable coilovers with at least 650# coils; THAT is the minimum.

search more.

2" shackles on OE leaf springs will only make the sag twice as fast...not a good idea.

If you go with any type of heavier spring up front (like the OMEs) you MUST upgrade the shocks as well; OEs cannot dampen the heavier coils.

this has all been covered ad nausium so better search perameters might help ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Matt-W said:
You have a 2001 so I am assuming you have ADD hubs and have not switched to manual hubs. You should talk to BurntOrngeLonghorn, he put the EXACT same lift on his X-Cab V6 with a ARB bumper and it put the CV's at too great of a angle. He blew both boots out in one trip from San Antonio to Austin if I remember straight. Also he said he have bad vibrations over 55 mph.

From what I have read, this is a bad idea unless you convert to manual hubs. Especially if this is your daily driver too. I too have been doing research on this exact same lift. I have now decided to go with Sway Away's 2.0's and just do it right the first time. If you do keep searching for awhile, you will find the OME coils will sag with added weight of a bumper or winch as Hytenor said.

If you don't get a aftermarket bumper or winch, the 882's would be fine, but Toytec sends a 3/8" spacer that lifts the truck a additional 3/4", using this spacer in combinantion with the 882's is not a good idea from what everyone told me. It adds additional strain to your front end suspension components. Go for the 882's alone if you don't add any accessories to the front end. If you want a bumper and possibly a winch down the road, go with Sway Away 2.0's at the MINIMUM! You will thank yourself in the long run.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What part is "myth"? If something I said was incorrect, please correct me. I am going off knowledge that I have read and heard from other's who have the lifts. If you don't correct people when they say something that is incorrect, how are the myth's ever going to disappear?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Most people would just do it right the first time...saw, hoes, ect...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Matt-W said:
For your application/truck, I'd recommend SAW's and a new leaf pack. 2" lift shackles I believe are actually 3 inches above stock length? Longer lift shackles are not recommended and like Hytenor said, neither are OME coils with anything other than a stock front end. For the leaf springs, I'd recommend either the OME Dakars or a Deaver 8 or 9 pack leaf set. Heck, even an add-a-leaf is a better idea than lift shackles out back IMO! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have OME 882's with the n91s struts and an ARB winch bumper. The bumper has been on for 3 years or so, and the entire suspension has held up just fine.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Liquid said:
I have OME 882's with the n91s struts and an ARB winch bumper. The bumper has been on for 3 years or so, and the entire suspension has held up just fine.
then you are one of the extreme few ;)

my 882s lasted 2 weeks and sagged to what ARB considered 'failure' and replaced them...same with Edgar (sftoyota) who had gotten the same bumper that I did. he tried the new set...they died as well. He wound up with Downey's 800# Tundra coilovers and I wound up with SAW 675s.

there have been several threads about this over the years and the vast majority have wound up with at least a 650# coil to do the job of holding the weight, maintaining lift and stopping the bottoming out at every bump and dip. Every brand of coilover has been tried...several times...with the same results.

heck, there are even members here who have tried OMEs with either just the winch bumper (no winch) or just the winch with a 25# custom mount behind the OE bumper and their coils didn't last, sagging to the point of constant tire rubbing and bottoming out of the suspension.
Maybe you got a magic set :)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
valkyrie said:
Well, since it is obvious that the spring re-design (which has been several years ago) has made a difference since your very dated experience with the older-style springs.

Of course, that would make 1/3 of your posts wrong. :D
I had talked to Tim (before he left ARB) about that "redsign" and there really wasn't one to speak of. They did improve the problem the 882s had with sagging due to added preload, however. but...they are simply not heavy enough for the average winch bumper in the 200# range.
There have been plenty of posts from members about this problem who have had brand new coils in the last couple of years, after the supposed redesign...same results.

the 550# FT coils produce the same results
the 600# Downeys produce the same results
the early OMEs are only 500s.

I still wonder about adapting a set of 884s (600#, right?) to an early Taco with the heavy winch/bumper.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Liquid said:
...then somethig tells me that you don't drive like most people round these parts...if search you will find out that most people do not go like OME springs because they sag.These dudes, aka: Hytenor, Valkyrie, ect know what they are talking about...they are not spouting out this info to lead you in the wrong direction.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
flatlander said:
...then somethig tells me that you don't drive like most people round these parts...if search you will find out that most people do not go like OME springs because they sag.These dudes, aka: Hytenor, Valkyrie, ect know what they are talking about...they are not spouting out this info to lead you in the wrong direction.
Ahem.

I am very partial to OME Suspensions...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine held up great when i had em too- best bang for your buck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
OME 882's are holding up fine for me. I have a 01' D-cab with TJM T-17 bumper and 255/85-16 BFG M/T. I do not abuse my truck, and only wheel maybe once a month. I can see if you wheel hard, and alot, then they would probably not hold up long under the weight. But I see the OME set-up as a good improvement over stock. If that is what you are looking for. BTW do not! use any other shock besides the OME with these springs. They will not last long at all due to the spring rate and slightly longer travel. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts