TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Dakars on my 01 taco about 5k miles ago and ever since the install my steering wheel is pointed to about 1:30.
I figured they would settle in because it tells me that one side is riding higher and causing the rear axle to angle.
Still pointed to 1:00 after plenty of break in. Both sides move freely when bouncing the bumper.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Most of the early model Tacoma springs are side specific. Only the crappy springs are the same side to side. From what I can tell, Dakar springs are not side specific. If that is true, the next trick is to adjust your front coilovers to help level things out. If you do that, you'll need an alignment.

If you want to see how the springs align side to side, check your wheel well height from side to side. Should be identical or close too it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front is independent suspension so adjusting the coils wouldn't help? I don't see how but open to it.
It's curious that Dakars are not side specific but they label them A or B for placement. I'm fairly certain I got the correct order.
Maybe a front end alignment is all I need? Then the whole truck will drive sideways a bit but aerodynamics is not on my list of things to do.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Take some measurements first to see how level the truck is sitting. Yes, you can adjust the front coils to dial things in if needed. But if all basically levels out, then you might just need an alignment.

The Dakars are labeled differently? I don't know enough about them, and I can't find anything about them being side specific. Hopefully they are because the Tacomas are designed for different spring rates on each side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts