TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was a 10 hour battle yesterday, but i got the OME lift finished yesterday on my '01 x-cab. Pictures tomorow when the sun is out.

The install was not terribly hard...although i did it alone, I did have air tools and a big-a** breaker bar. Also got a shop to assemble the front struts for me. Hardest part was getting the rear springs into place and mounted to the axle. A combination of multiple jacks and a lot of small adjustments finally did the trick. Right now it's about 2.5" higher up front, and about 3 in the rear. No spacers yet, maybe down the line, we'll see how it settles. Also put on new 265/75/16 All-Terrains. The ride is good, I have the 'comfort' shocks, which still seem pretty stiff to me, but the handling and ride is excellent overall. Better than stock, for sure.

I have noticed a definite change in overall performance with the larger tires, have to be a bit heavier footed. Does anybody have any experience with reprogrammed chips to compensate for this? Is it worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
you need to get it aligned, even though it may not feel out of align, it will still make those tires wear unevenly, it will tear the outsides of them up and with a quickness too.
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
gtchris331 said:
I have noticed a definite change in overall performance with the larger tires, have to be a bit heavier footed. Does anybody have any experience with reprogrammed chips to compensate for this? Is it worth it?
Just remove you right shoe for 60 seconds and allow your foot to reset to adjust for the larger tires- ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
which springs didja go with??? 881 or 882?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
881's.
After two days of driving it, I'm very impressed so far. Feels firm but not jarring.
Gas mileage sucks, but oh well. I'll work on getting pics up soon. There is a noticeable rake back to front, but it doesn't look to bad to me.

-chris
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
gtchris331 said:
Does anybody have any experience with reprogrammed chips to compensate for this? Is it worth it?
Don't waste your money on reprogramming the chip, or getting a reprogrammed one. They're pretty much useless on our trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
thanks for the update. sounds like the OME is a good choice.

Did you have to disconnect your rear brake line for the install, or does it let the axle drop enough anyway? more info on the snags you hit during the install would be great. i'm considering doing this myself in the spring, but don't have air tools. how much harder would it have been w/ hand tools?

your gas mileage maybe down because of not having an alignment. also the computer may not have yet adjusted to the larger tires. i thought you had to recalibrate your spedomenter when moving to a larger tire. your mileage may be off because of that too, because its showing less miles than you actually drove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
gtchris331 said:
I have noticed a definite change in overall performance with the larger tires, have to be a bit heavier footed. Does anybody have any experience with reprogrammed chips to compensate for this? Is it worth it?
You need to get an allignment. You don't need to adjust your speedo. Those tires aren't much larger than what most tacomas come with stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
i noticed a few people were asking, you do need to dissconnect the rear brake line doing this lift, The E-Brake running alongside the axle for sure, it is easy to connect and dissconnect and in most cases it will snap when you are putting the lift on and that sucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep I definitely did need to disconnect the brake hose and e-brake cable. No big deal.

As for other hints / stumbling blocks....
Air tools certainly were not a necessity, but made things go quicker. Most of the torque specs for the suspension are actually pretty low. Hardest bolt was the forward leaf spring mount. Even the impact wrench couldn't get it; needed a big breaker bar. The axle u-bolts weren't too bad, but the impact wrench made it easier to get at em. I did soak all bolts in liquid wrench the night before the install. Don't know how much that helped, but it didn't hurt.

I would recommend having an extra bottle jack on hand, as well as either jack stands (the right way) or cinder blocks (the ghetto way) to support various things. The bottle jack comes in super handy for getting the leaf springs into position, as well as lowering the front control arm enough to fit the large strut it.

Don't get frustrated trying to get the rear leafs in. It take a lot of patience and small adjusments. Don't be afraid to wrestle with that axle a little either.

When tapping out your shackle bolts, use a soft mallet! I used a hammer and ended up smashing the threads at the end, and had to re-cut them. No fun, especially so close to completion. Take the time to do it right.

Hope that helps anybody considering doing the same. A full day's work, but definitely worth it. Satisfying. And BTW, has anybody else noticed that the jack handle you're supposed to use to lower the spare tire isn't even long enough to make a full rotation of that damn thing? Pain in thas a**!

-chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about the speedo when stepping up to 32's (265 75r 16). Mine is right on the money now according to a half dozen stationary radar sites, and my gps.

As for the performance, try stepping up to the next octane level. I always ran plain unledded in mine, but notice a knocking right before it wanted to upshift on inclines, and my gas milage sucked. I'm on my second tank of unleaded plus, and the knock has completely gone away, a little pep is back, though I haven't checked milage yet.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
gtchris331 said:
So it was a 10 hour battle yesterday, but i got the OME lift finished yesterday on my '01 x-cab. Pictures tomorow when the sun is out.

The install was not terribly hard...although i did it alone, I did have air tools and a big-a** breaker bar. Also got a shop to assemble the front struts for me. Hardest part was getting the rear springs into place and mounted to the axle. A combination of multiple jacks and a lot of small adjustments finally did the trick. Right now it's about 2.5" higher up front, and about 3 in the rear. No spacers yet, maybe down the line, we'll see how it settles. Also put on new 265/75/16 All-Terrains. The ride is good, I have the 'comfort' shocks, which still seem pretty stiff to me, but the handling and ride is excellent overall. Better than stock, for sure.

I have noticed a definite change in overall performance with the larger tires, have to be a bit heavier footed. Does anybody have any experience with reprogrammed chips to compensate for this? Is it worth it?
I"ll jump on the 'get it aligned and soon' bandwagon ;)

with 3" in the rear you'll need a longer brake line (assuming the kit didn't come with one) You did get a BPV extension bracket, right?
no way to re-calibrate the speedo with any 'chip'...there aren't any other than getting a Dakota Digital device. You can swap speedo drive gears but you can only get 'close', not perfect. you'll have to pull your current gear to find out how many teeth it has, then figure out exactly how far off your speedo is using gps or pacing someone. Depending on how may teeth your gear has you may be able to improve things.

everything will settle eventually; how soon will depend on how much fun you have flexing it out :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
gtchris331 said:
Yep I definitely did need to disconnect the brake hose and e-brake cable. No big deal.

As for other hints / stumbling blocks....
Air tools certainly were not a necessity, but made things go quicker. Most of the torque specs for the suspension are actually pretty low. Hardest bolt was the forward leaf spring mount. Even the impact wrench couldn't get it; needed a big breaker bar. The axle u-bolts weren't too bad, but the impact wrench made it easier to get at em. I did soak all bolts in liquid wrench the night before the install. Don't know how much that helped, but it didn't hurt.

I would recommend having an extra bottle jack on hand, as well as either jack stands (the right way) or cinder blocks (the ghetto way) to support various things. The bottle jack comes in super handy for getting the leaf springs into position, as well as lowering the front control arm enough to fit the large strut it.

Don't get frustrated trying to get the rear leafs in. It take a lot of patience and small adjusments. Don't be afraid to wrestle with that axle a little either.

When tapping out your shackle bolts, use a soft mallet! I used a hammer and ended up smashing the threads at the end, and had to re-cut them. No fun, especially so close to completion. Take the time to do it right.

Hope that helps anybody considering doing the same. A full day's work, but definitely worth it. Satisfying. And BTW, has anybody else noticed that the jack handle you're supposed to use to lower the spare tire isn't even long enough to make a full rotation of that damn thing? Pain in thas a**!

-chris
a quick little hint for you, if you would have only done one leaf spring at a time (not both sets at once) you would have been done in about an hour.... ive done teh full install on many different setups/trucks and only takes me 2 hours tops for everything. Its not difficult at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You must know something else I don't...I did do it one side at a time. You do it alone? Not having help definitely slowed me down...It wasn't hard, just a good bit of small adjustments.

-chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
gtchris331 said:
You must know something else I don't...I did do it one side at a time. You do it alone? Not having help definitely slowed me down...It wasn't hard, just a good bit of small adjustments.

-chris
Ive done quite a few installs alone.. it doesnt take a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
What truck do you have? I'm looking at doing the OME kit, too. I've got a 2000 2.7L X-cab with a topper on the back, and I want to know how close to level I can get it with OME rear leafs. I was told by Wheelers that I wouldn't be able to get it level (front to back) because the leafs have 2.5" lift and the most I can get with their coils is 2" (881's). If you have .5" rake front to rear with a v6 and no topper, for example, maybe my truck would sit level? Would a topper (and the fact that I'm usually carrying at least 100lbs in the back) give me enough weight to offset the small difference in lift? How about the trim packers? I'm open to suggestions...I just started looking into suspension. Mainly I want to get rid of this saggy, jolting factory rubbish and get a nice ride on-road ride while having a bit more capability off-road. A little rake wouldn't bother me, actually. I just get the impression from what I read that the OME rear leafs give a much better ride and better load handling than going with an Add-A-Leaf kit or shackles. I need to carry heavy stuff on rough roads quite often, so I don't want to compromise load capacity at all--in fact I'd like an improvement over the factory suspension in that area.
And pics would be great too. Thanks!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top