TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can they be used together? I just bought a pair cuz my stock bilsteins are leaking. They are apparently long travel, so does that mean there is slightly more space between the top plate and coil mount to allow more travel? I am not ready for a lift yet so I will be using stock PreRunner 4-cyl. non-trd coils. Will the stock coils on the long-travel shocks make there be less overall lift than the stock bilsteins?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.

Anybody done this or know for sure? I am going to my mechanic monday to have them swapped and just want to make sure it will work so i don't waste his time(and my money). I am worried about the long-travel part. I know the overall coilover will be slightly longer, I just don't know if it will give less lift with stock coils or not. Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I personally wouldn't do it. OME shocks and springs are designed to go together; however, many on here use OME coils with Bilstein shocks, and that combo seems to work fine. However, OME shocks are not the cheapest, and that raises one question. Why would you want to spend almost 100 bucks per shock and keep the crappy stock coils to inhibit the full functionality of the OME shocks? I would save up a little longer and replace the stock coils with OME's to go with those shocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not planning on lifting my truck fight now and I needed a new pair of shocks that were capable of allowing me to level out my really bad lean. Its about 3/4" lower on the drivers side. So, I got some OME shocks. The problem is that if I can't use my stock coils I will, as you suggested, need to go with the OME coils, which will lift the front end. So then I will have to do something to the rear to lift it too and I just can't afford to do it right now. Plus I have a PreRunner and can't do a whole lot offroad anyway so whats the point in lifting it?

Thanks for the reply tho, I just still need to know if the stock coils can be used with the long travel shocks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
toyotadude04 said:
Thanks for the reply tho, I just still need to know if the stock coils can be used with the long travel shocks.
anything is possible, but not always a good idea. i noticed on my OME shocks that the coil seat that attachs to the shock lower than on my stock bilsteins, so therefore you would have more shock inside the coil. with more of the shock tube (resievor) itself inside the coil but not running a coil that is longer or stiffer to provide any lift would cause you to not have as much uptravel, the shock might fully compress before the spring of suspension fully cycles up. this would result in the shock tube (resievor) smashing into the top plate of the coilover assembly. that would be very bad for your shocks, if it happened enough i am sure it could damage them beyond use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts