TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any clear pictures of trim packers installed on any of the 880's. Am wondering how to install them and what they look like. Thanks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So trim packers need to be installed before the coils are attached to the strut? Just want to know if it is a good idea to install maybe 1 or 2 to both sides right of the bat.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, easy enough . . . thanks a lot. Oh, one more thing, I keep seeing pictures of the coil compressor on "how to install" links and such . . . how much are those and how many do you need to have a safe install for the 881 coils and N91s (have seen two at the minimum). I have some mechanical skill, but don't completely have the confidence to take on the task, even with the help of friends.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Portman said:
Cool, easy enough . . . thanks a lot. Oh, one more thing, I keep seeing pictures of the coil compressor on "how to install" links and such . . . how much are those and how many do you need to have a safe install for the 881 coils and N91s (have seen two at the minimum). I have some mechanical skill, but don't completely have the confidence to take on the task, even with the help of friends.
don't bother...take them to a shop and have them assembled. Unless you have or rent a top quality spring compressor kit, have at least a 15gal air compressor and an air ratchet just forget it. Even with all the proper tools it was nerve-racking at best.

the 881s can tolerate a few trims with no problem. just add one more to the dr side. you may want to wait until the coils settle before adding the trims, however, as you may wind up with too much lift initially and wear out your inner CV boots ;)

·
Banned
598 Posts
Portman said:
i got my hydraulic compressor from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47890

i paid $89 a few months ago.

hyd. compressor, box end wrench, and vice grips are all i use to safely undo coilover packs. if you are doing just 1 set, take it somewhere and avoid the hassle.

but i warn now, improper use of the tools while unloading a coilover can cause serious injury or death !

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i have access to all those things but i think based on your and every one elses advice. i'll just take them to a shop to assemble them and I'll do the install. That, I heard was easy as pie. Thanks for your advice guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Cvjas, can you post or send some pictures of your truck so I can see what the 881's look like . . . also what are you running for you rear lift, and what size tires? Thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
cvajs said:
i got my hydraulic compressor from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47890

i paid $89 a few months ago.

hyd. compressor, box end wrench, and vice grips are all i use to safely undo coilover packs. if you are doing just 1 set, take it somewhere and avoid the hassle.

but i warn now, improper use of the tools while unloading a coilover can cause serious injury or death !
that's pretty slick; never seen that one before. Does it mount to a wall or something?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd like to jump in.....

I am going to be running used 881/N95S setup, and wanted to run 2 trims on each side. Is this safe? What about a third trim on the drivers side if it sags.

Since the set up has 12000 miles on them, and came off of a V6, I'm sure they are done settling/sagging.

Just wanted to know if I can get away with running two or three trims.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.... :eek:

·
Banned
598 Posts
hytenor said:
that's pretty slick; never seen that one before. Does it mount to a wall or something?
i guess you could clamp it to the wall. i lay the coilover on the floor on a soft thin pad (i use pergo underlayment as my padding), then i place compressor over the spring. the claws of the compressor (comes with 2 sets) are helix'd to grab the spring as best as possible.

even with this tool it's tricky putting things back together.

i also have a 8ton long ram, so i may use my 8ton and fab up a jig to make things even easier when working with coilovers.

·
Banned
598 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
I'd like to jump in.....

I am going to be running used 881/N95S setup, and wanted to run 2 trims on each side. Is this safe? What about a third trim on the drivers side if it sags.

Since the set up has 12000 miles on them, and came off of a V6, I'm sure they are done settling/sagging.

you're taking out travel (coil bind sooner) and making the ride stiffer, but it will still work.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Portman said:
Hey Cvjas, can you post or send some pictures of your truck so I can see what the 881's look like . . . also what are you running for you rear lift, and what size tires? Thanks
881's on Bilsteins are not in yet. i'm rebuilding my oem leaf packs, but it's all not done yet. sorry. but when i get it done i'll have pics.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
VaTaco1 said:
I'd like to jump in.....

that will not be a problem. you may or may not notice a difference in ride quality; some do and some don't. I would run 3 on the dr side and 2 on the pass side to compensate for the lean.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
cvajs said:
i guess you could clamp it to the wall. i lay the coilover on the floor on a soft thin pad (i use pergo underlayment as my padding), then i place compressor over the spring. the claws of the compressor (comes with 2 sets) are helix'd to grab the spring as best as possible.

even with this tool it's tricky putting things back together.

i also have a 8ton long ram, so i may use my 8ton and fab up a jig to make things even easier when working with coilovers.
I think I'm finally done with compressing springs ;)

·
Banned
598 Posts
Portman said:
it's been slow for me, i've been working on a custom jig/tool for cutting snapring grooves into Bilstein shocks (this is really the holdup for me getting my 881/Bilstein's mounted)

here's the start of my tool (the cutting piece) http://img11.exs.cx/img11/8351/groovetool7jh.jpg

the "top plate" will be welded to the top of the mount and the whole
assembly we be able to slide horizontally left-right and then locked into
place with the two cap screws. the Nikcole tool will slip snugly into the
channel of the mount and then secured with the two set screws.

i'm looking for a mini mill/lathe, but all in due time.

cheers :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts