TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone built a on board air system with a 3.4 using a york comp? I was wondering what the cheapest way to do this is? I don't mind putting a kit together my self If it would save some coin! Thanks as always guys!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Do lots of research! I have been collecting parts and I have a bracket maid for my 22re but haven't had the time to put it all together. the expensive parts that you don't want to skimp on are the coalescing filter and the pressure switch.

If you buy a cheap filter they usually freeze/break the first year and you will be buying another one making it more expensive in the end.

The pressure switch is important for obvious reasons, so you don't blow out your fittings/lines. I've heard of some people not using a pressure switch and just going with a blow off pressure release valve but it gets annoying when your truck sounds like a semi all the time pssst pssst pssst every 3 min or so.

wire a switch into your cab so that you can turn the compressor on a few min before the end of the trail. That way you don't have to wait a min or two for the system to pressurize.

Get an air tank. preferably 2-3 gallons what ever you can fit. It makes using air tools a lot easier, and puts less stress on the pump. Don't get me wrong I've seen these things run without a tank just fine but it's nice to have that little extra.

Here are some links for parts and tubing and what not.
Great place for parts even though Jeep specific
On a 22re but you can get a picture of work involved
Schematic of parts
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/22re-york-board-air-complete-155162/
A search on Pirate

Good luck man I would read the link posted by Volcom That kit seems to be a pretty complete one. The hardest part is sourcing your 210 pump I ended up with 3 pumps that were the wrong one or had the wrong pulley on them. If you need a pump I might have an extra 210 that already has the oil block off mod done.

cheers!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys! Trying to decide if i want to run Oba or co2.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Well I've rarely seen anyone run out of OBA. CO2 on the other hand, I've seen buddies who run their lockers off that run out plenty of times. PITA. My 2 cents.

·
20,355 Posts
also look at oasis it think it is. they are basically an electric powered york compressor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm going to stick with the stock A/C compressor, personally. Throw a small tank on there somewhere and it'll be enough to air up and power tools.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Air up yes. Power tools? Maybe. You need a decent amount of stored air to do that. Have you ever run air tools of a co2 tank? You'll drain that thing in a hurry. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The York is around 4cfm, not sure about the factory A/C. I'd like to get my A/C fixed so that kinda makes using that compressor a no-go. Not sure if you can fit a York onto a 22RE that retains the A/C, either. I'll do an electric compressor if I have to, but would much prefer an engine-driven high-volume unit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What's the CFM rating of the AC compressor? Really needs to be >4 CFM to run an impact gun.
Not 100% sure, but, from the link I posted in the second post:

And that's that! After buttoning everything up, I flipped the switch on. The compressor fired up, and brought the 7ga tank from 0 to 100psi in about 1 minute, at idle. Speeding the engine up to 2000 cuts that down to about 25-30 seconds. With the engine at 1200, I can use my impact gun to remove six lugs, and it's still at 120psi when I get back to the gauge. A blower tip or die grinder would probably be the only thing necessary to kick up the engine speed above idle for. The rest are all intermittent tools and the compressor can more than keep up with those.
Mind you, that's with a 7-gallon tank.

I was thinking this guy would be a great tank to mount in the former spare tire position.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was thinking this guy would be a great tank to mount in the former spare tire position.
That's a good find. But how would you mount it? That would be the challenge. :confused:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was thinking you could use cross strap with a rubber coating on it. Maybe in an X pattern? Or looking at that handle you might be able mount something off of that.

No I won't give your ball back. In fact I threw it in the neighbors yard with the Pit Bulls. Go get it. :p

You can go home and miss out on the milk and cookies you sour puss. :D

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Your bumper will drain Troy you just have to crack it on a rock. :D

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Personally, I love my A/C so i'll end up running just an electric compressor to a tank at some point.

A/C > rarely used compressed air any day. lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts