TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Support your local Vet. And come donate your time at your local VFW, as well as WFTW!

PS Troy, it's not just the brits but all English colonies... (ie New Zealand, Australia, etc)

·
Registered
746 Posts
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

That is the inspiration for the poppies.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What we in America call Veterans Day began as Armistice Day, celebrating the formal end of WWI and remembering all that fell. Now, it's a day of remembrance for all our military veterans of all wars, and those of our allies around the world, in particular the ones who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we might live free.

Poppies don't really grow in huge fields, unless they're cultivated...they grow in disturbed ground, like a weed. Their significance in the battlefields of WWI is, whether factually or fancifully, very similar to the stands of grain described in the Irish song "The Wind that Shakes the Barley", and that is why they're worn up to and on November 11th, tho mostly in Commonwealth countries.

If you're in DC, it's worth your time to go see the WWI memorial. It's hard to explain...it's not huge or shiny. There is an overwhelming sense of age and history in that small structure.

A couple pieces of music, from then until now. These particular videos have no association with the music (at all...particularly the first one :lmao:), I linked them on purpose rather than anything with matching visuals...so feel free to look up the origin of the tunes, or just enjoy the tunes and know they're relevant.

Flowers of the Forest

The Sands of Kuwait

-Sean

·
Registered
746 Posts
Interesting choices in music, Sean. Flowers of the Forest is an old, old tune going back to the 1600's. I first heard it played by a solo piper perched atop Edinburgh Castle when attending the Tattoo. The lights were dimmed and a single spotlight pointed out where he was standing. There probably was not a dry eye in the crowd when he was done. The only other time I heard it performed live was at the funeral of a Royal Navy Chief at the base where we were stationed.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Yeah, that song is more traditionally played by Commonwealth countries, not so well known here in the states, but when it's played, it's for the same reason. Not heard much outside those circumstances.

Sands of Kuwait is a modern equivalent, but more widely played...it is still a commemorative tune, but not as "reserved" as Flowers of the Forest.

I wonder if the people who made those particular videos had any idea...probably not. Then again, there are a few videos more appropriate, but I can't watch them at work...people would be asking me what was wrong.

Both those tunes, played right, evoke the same feeling.

That is really, really cool that you saw the Tattoo in person. Which year?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts