TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ok I have doen some searching in the onboard air department throughout TTORA, and I heard a lot about the MV50, it’s the compressor that a lot of people got from Pep boys. I was wondering if anyone is running one here, but more importantly, if I were to get one, and a tank, would it be capable of running air tools? :saw:

I am new to the onboard air thing, so I have no idea what is needed to make this happen. I know a powertank would be better, but I like the idea of having a compressor and some tanks.

So if this is possible, what do I need, or should I just hold out and save my money for a VIAIR? And for those that are running air, where did you mount your tanks, and what size are they? :confused:

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Banned
755 Posts
I'm sure either will work fine. I've seen lots of OBA systems with the mv-50.

EDIT: If you are wanting to run air tools, I would go with at least a 5 gallon (or two 2 1/2 gallon) tank(s).

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
barlowrs said:
Hey guys, ok I have doen some searching in the onboard air department throughout TTORA, and I heard a lot about the MV50, it’s the compressor that a lot of people got from Pep boys. I was wondering if anyone is running one here, but more importantly, if I were to get one, and a tank, would it be capable of running air tools? :saw:

I am new to the onboard air thing, so I have no idea what is needed to make this happen. I know a powertank would be better, but I like the idea of having a compressor and some tanks.

So if this is possible, what do I need, or should I just hold out and save my money for a VIAIR? And for those that are running air, where did you mount your tanks, and what size are they? :confused:

Thanks a lot guys!

The MV-50 is a great compressor, and it's got a great price... I use mine to fill tires regularly.. BUT

....coupled with a 2-5 gallon tank, you aren't gonna get very far with air tools... maybe a ratchet, possibly an impact, but not for very long at all... these compressors are great for filling tires... the only electric vehicle compressor capable of air tool running is the OASIS... CO2 tanks with high volume regulators can also run tools... a shop air compressor the MV-50 isn't.

-Mark

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Just installed this month(m)

I am still working to do a write up on my website.
So here is the thread I started on the Texas board....
I opted for the Viair Constant System with the 450C compressor and a 2.5gallon air tank.

TejasYOTA On Board Air Install (OBA) Link HERE!
:D

Here is what included in the kit. I changed out the 1/4 plastic cheap ass tubing & fittings for normal 3/8 tubing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
AH64: I noticed you got your bypass filter hooked up. How's it working out for you?:xofftopic

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I will get a writeup in one of these days, I installed it yesterday as well, so time will tell. I kept a sample of the oil I just changed, very dark at 1500 miles, and will see how the same oil looks with the bypass. I really like that I have a 7 qt capacity now.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I had the viair 450 compressor on my '02 Tacoma with a 2.5 gal. tank and it was great for airing up 1 33" tire and then it just took forever with the rest of them. On my '05 Tacoma I have a 10 gal. co2 tank and it will fill my 40" tires 3 three times and at a very fast rate before I have to fill it again. I do have an ARB compressor for my air lockers that I can use in an emergency but I don't rely on it.

Won't go with another on board compressor again. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I had the viair 450 compressor on my '02 Tacoma with a 2.5 gal. tank and it was great for airing up 1 33" tire and then it just took forever with the rest of them. On my '05 Tacoma I have a 10 gal. co2 tank and it will fill my 40" tires 3 three times and at a very fast rate before I have to fill it again. I do have an ARB compressor for my air lockers that I can use in an emergency but I don't rely on it.

Won't go with another on board compressor again. Not worth it to me.
Yeah, the CO2 isnt worth it to me, too much maintenance and too much wasted space. I had 2 2.5 gal tanks on my ARB compressor and talk about SLOW to fill 35's. I thought about hooking the tanks up on my 07 but decided not to, you then have to fill the tank and the tires, so its slower. I now have an e-locker so dont need a volume at 85-105 psi, so the ViAir 450 is perfect, a little slower than a 33% duty cycle, but I can run it all day, and the #1 reason I have it is for filling tires, and the tank volume is great for that first tire, but sucks on tires 3-6 (I air down the camp trailer too)..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a MV-1050 plumbed in to a 7gal tank. With the tank already aired to 120psi I could break all 6 lugs (torqued to 83. If you take your vehicle to Discount where it's torqued at over 100 you're gonna have different luck) but that was about it. After that you're out for awhile. I now have a Maxair4.0 compressor and it runs the impact awhole lot better and airs the tank up faster. If all you can afford is the MV-50 then do what you got to do but if you can, save up for a better one. Even if it takes a few months. The mv-50 WILL break after awhile. I have personally seen 4 go bad (all of my buddies and myself bought them and hooked them up to a OBA setup). That's my :2cents:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts