TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys my name is Taco I'm attending Metro State for a degree in Magazine Journalism. I want to write for a mag in the near future so I started a blog to give me practice. It's write ups on rigs. I have one so far in progress. Please go check it out and comment me. I have updates going on all the time so I will let you know when I do. The page is www.gearheadbuilds.blogspot.com
Thanks

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I hope we can help you with it. Remember to post updates on this thread so we remember to check it out (since we have so many links and threads vying for our attention each day) ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey guys my name is Taco I'm attending Metro State for a degree in Magazine Journalism. I want to write for a mag in the near future so I start a blog to give me practice. It's write ups on rigs. I have one so far in progress. Please go check it out and comment me. The page is www.gearheadbuilds.blogspot.com
Thanks
I checked it out, and its a good start. want more practice, you can try a write up on mine - though it is a mostly done project, it would be fun truck to practice on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys just wanted to stop by and let everyone know that I added another article to my blog and have some updates. Please go check it out. My goal is by the end of the year my own webpage.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'll probably get blasted for this, however, if you are really going for a degree in journalism - please, please, please learn proper English. A quick peek at your blog and your posts here show a basic lack of proofreading and/or basic English grammar. If your professors are giving you passing grades on this level of work then you are getting ripped off on your tuition.

There is always room for improvement and you are certainly are no worse than some of the garbage I read in the MSM. Unfortunately, that does not translate to a job well done. I find it ironic that 100 years ago newspaper editors and journalists were considered to be highly educated. Today, one has to wonder. It used to be that the "New York Times Manual of Style and Usage" was considered an authoritative source for journalists. The manual has not changed, but journalists have gotten sloppy. They either fail to proofread and correct or simply don't care. Personally I think the latter is the reality.

Aside from that, keep at it! Oh, and I am not trying to pick you personally. I used to send my kids' homework back to school with them questioning the passing grades given with the atrocious spelling and grammar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly I agree.

I'm probably the worst when it comes to grammar and punctuation, but if I'm noticing huge errors you got something going on wrong dude.

You might want to double check you shizzel and read it out loud to yourself.

Just constructive criticism, please don't take it personally.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you this is what I was looking for. It's the reason I posted this tread. I know now what I need to work on. Editing errors are my weakness, that's why you have a editor. I went over the blog and changed a lot of my errors. Of course I'm going to take this personal, it's my dream. If I didn't wouldn't it mean that I don't care about bettering my writing skills? I'm an amateur that's why I'm doing this blog to get better. I'm in hopes of being a step or two ahead of other internship students when it comes time to getting a internship. Bring the criticism and I will do my best to make my blog better if I see necessary. All your doing is helping me. Thank you again. There are more photos added with the editing changes this morning. Go check it out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. It's the reason I posted this thread. I know now what I need to work on. Editing errors are my weakness, that's why you have an editor. I went over the blog and changed a lot of my errors. Of course I'm going to take this personally, it's my dream. If I didn't, wouldn't it mean that I don't care about bettering my writing skills? I'm an amateur that's why I'm doing this blog to get better. I'm in hopes of being a step or two ahead of other internship students when it comes time to getting an internship. Bring the criticism and I will do my best to make my blog better if I see necessary. All you're doing is helping me. Thank you again. There are more photos added with the editing changes this morning. Go check it out.
Proof reading was part of my job description for many years. Heaven knows I am not perfect and if you look at posts of mine you will see that I often go back and edit them. Do you have Microsoft Office or Open Office? I would suggest using Word or Writer to create your posts. I have not used Writer too much so I am not sure how robust its grammar and spellchecker functions are, but Word is very good, although not perfect. Write the post there, then copy/paste it to your blog after you have checked the grammar and spelling. Watch to see what spelling errors or grammer errors consistently come up, and then work on those until it is second nature to do it the correct way. DO NOT EVER add a word to the custom dictionary unless you are 100% sure it is correct. What you can end up with a 'garbage in, garbage out' situation once incorrect words have been added to the dictionary.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The word is grammAr. :slap:

Only because I love the irony. :D

Seriously though, what they said. If you're writing for publication and such, proofreading is key. The higher the percentage of errors, the less likely you are to be taken seriously if self-published or hired by someone else, no matter how good / detailed your actual content is. Everybody makes mistakes (including me - you should see the stupid errors I catch in blog posts weeks after I make them), but in this day and age I think the media's blitz to get a story out has resulted in a severe decline in the quality of published material, from books to papers to online articles.

Another suggestion, in addition to using an editor with a good spell check, is to read each sentence backward. This will force you to actually see what's there instead of what you expect to see. The human mind is incredibly good at filling in blanks with what it knows should be there. And spell check won't save you from homonyms.

Also, journalistic writing generally tries to avoid the use of contractions. You are instead of you're, for example. Doing so can also help avoid the you're / your or it's / its types of mistakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts