TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stepping up to one-ton axles. D70 rear with disc brakes, HP D60 front. The rear is in, but I have stripped it all out and am in the process of painting all the tubework from the cab back. I am running leaves in the back for now, but am stepping up to a 3-link in the front. Running 2" lower, and 1.75" upper links, solid 7075 aluminum, with Rubicon Express superflex joints, and Racerunner 16" air shocks. I will have enough aluminum leftover to do the rear suspension when the time (money) comes, it will probably be a triangulated 4-link. I ordered a Wilwood brake proportioning valve to replace the stock POS, and am going to try to use the stock master cylinder, but will probably have to upgrade to the chevy from what I hear.

http://www.rockdustfab.com/gallery/One-Ton-Tacoma

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
nice selection, D70's rock, did you get lucky and get a D70U? and the front 60 is a god sent for people coming from a D44. Still need to upgrade the stub shafts from 30 spline to 35 spline, after that go do full throttle assaults untill something upstreem breaks or untill you run out of gas.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that is 12 leafs, but it is a mix-n-match, none of them are lift springs. All stock junk, so it will flex really good, and hopefully control axle wrap fairly well.

I am upgrading to 35 spline outers, and 4340 inner and outers on the front. Also going to use drive flanges not hubs, it should be pretty beefy.

What is a D70U? This D70 has a smooth bottom if that makes a difference? Out of a 93' Dodge.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the D60 shafts/joints today, BEEFY.

Once I get studs for the spindle and hub, I can put it all together. As it is right now I can put the gears and knuckles on, but that is it. I also need calipers/rotors for the front. And hi-steer arms.

RE superflex joints should be here this week.

Fun part will be cutting all that leaf spring crap OFF the truck, I dread that, like doing a SAS all over again...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I think I'm going to replace my bushings with the RE joints actually...
You planning to run them top over bottom or run the top links in toward the pumpkin like they are on the coiled jeeps?
Or something altogether different?

For the record I've been advised, strongly, against solid links; steering, suspension or otherwise.
I don't think its a strength thing necessarily so much as a rebound thing- oak vs. willow. Was told not to do it, not why-- so I'm only assuming there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the D70-U its a weaker axle than ALL other D70's. It still has the 10.5" ring gear, but has smaller pinion bearings than all other D70's and has smaller axles, 32 vice 35 spline. I'd argue a 35 spline 60 is just as strong.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BigMudTruk said:
I'm not a big fan of the D70-U its a weaker axle than ALL other D70's. It still has the 10.5" ring gear, but has smaller pinion bearings than all other D70's and has smaller axles, 32 vice 35 spline. I'd argue a 35 spline 60 is just as strong.
I dont know of any D70U's that are 32 spline, only the normal D70, all other variations like the D70HD,D703hd, and D70B should be 1.5" 35 splined shafts, The teeth on the D70's ring gear will be bigger than a D60's as well. Remember that there are D60U's that will have the 32 splined shafts. But yeah you can make a D60 almost as strong, but its going to cost ya alot more coin to do it. I know i would not hesitate to throw 44's on a rig with a d70 but might be a bit reluctant to throw it on a 60. but personally i prefer a 14bolt :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have about $325 in my rear D70, with 4.10 gears, NEW rotors, and HUGE calipers off the front of about any fullsize ford (91-newer).

I welded the diff. The axle came with a limited slip, but I traded it for an open with a buddy of mine (he has a 99' Dodge 2500). I sold my Taco rear with a spare shaft for $325 and a lockrite (4.10 gears), so I came out pretty good I think.

·
Registered
770 Posts
zszac111 said:
I dont know of any D70U's that are 32 spline, only the normal D70, all other variations like the D70HD,D703hd, and D70B should be 1.5" 35 splined shafts, The teeth on the D70's ring gear will be bigger than a D60's as well. Remember that there are D60U's that will have the 32 splined shafts. But yeah you can make a D60 almost as strong, but its going to cost ya alot more coin to do it. I know i would not hesitate to throw 44's on a rig with a d70 but might be a bit reluctant to throw it on a 60. but personally i prefer a 14bolt :D

I prefer the 14B too thats why its my axle of choice for my rig, there's a sick fuck running a 14b front axle in a jeep rock rig, I've seen pics of it but never seen it in person. I'll just be running a normal old 60 in the front w/35sp outers. My 14b has the new Yukon spool in it, that thing weighs almost as much as the full carrier, its beefy!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BigMudTruk said:
I prefer the 14B too thats why its my axle of choice for my rig, there's a sick fuck running a 14b front axle in a jeep rock rig, I've seen pics of it but never seen it in person. I'll just be running a normal old 60 in the front w/35sp outers. My 14b has the new Yukon spool in it, that thing weighs almost as much as the full carrier, its beefy!
I prefer a 14 bolt as well since the only thing i have watched break on one was the plug welds. Its what I will probably run in the rock racer i am building since I have a few laying around the shop, or maybe a AAM 1150, but I need to check about the specifics on them. i know my 2500HD had it and it was hella beef, disc brakes, and had a locker in it. We have a wrecked 3500 SRW that has one at the shop so i may do a little inspecting this weekend.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
INFERNAL said:
Any pics of the complete truck?.
It isn't complete yet :)

Haven't gotten much done, in the process of setting the gears up in the front axle, but I need to go pick up some more pinion shims so I can get it dialed in correctly.

I have been busy working on other peoples stuff, kind of pushes mine to the side.

·
Registered
305 Posts
spending to much time on the rhino? haha just kidding, well i know i would be. That new pitmanarm get there yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Master cylinder.

I strongly advise throwing a Chev master cylinder in. When I bought my rig it had chev half ton calipers up front and stock taco drums in the rear with the stock master cyl. My friend that I bought it from unknowingly had been driving it around with at least 60% of the braking power coming from the rear drums. = slow stops and fast wearing out of shoes. See attached pic for the result of this (not the only cause though)

Anyways, I put in a MC out of a 76 blazer (new $30 at NAPA). Simple adapter plate (sorry no pic). Add proportioning valce and voila stops on a dime and gives a nickle in change. Pedal feel is about 100x better as well. Seeing as how you are running chev brakes front and rear you would just have a super soft pedal. Go with a MC out of a 1 ton to match yer axles though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Already have the 1-ton MC in the truck. Rear brakes are plumbed in with a Wilwood proportioning valve. Once I get the front axle in the truck I will plumb it in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More progress. Links are mocked up, I am going to have to relocate my steering box, because the draglink will interfere with the panhard bar. I am just going to chop the frame off on both sides behind the engine mounts, and put a new section of frame (2x3 tube), I will make new engine mounts, and new front tow points. Re-doing the frame will make it look alot neater, and will also get rid of the leaf spring hanger from the previous SAS. I will have to modify the exhaust a little to clear the 3rd link, not too big of a deal though. The crossmember the 3rd link will bolt to will be welded in place, and is made out of 2x3, 3/16" tube. I will also weld it to the current crossmember in the center to prevent rattles beteween the two (will have to cut those welds if I need to take the tranny or t-case out).

Does anyone see anything that needs to be done differently?
Yes, I am going to gusset the 3rd link mount.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i thought u were gonna wheel this thing again someday and now ur talking about hacking off the front of the truck....im just kidding....looking good keep the updated pics coming

1 - 20 of 33 Posts