TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this is a stupid question... but...

Why is there only one hook underneath the front end? I have an '04 4WD, and on one side of the skidplate is a hook. The opposite/other side just has a bracket.

So now I'm curious. I assume the hook is for recovery straps, but why only one?

Would someone please educate me? Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
stefantheterrible said:
Ok, I know this is a stupid question... but...

Why is there only one hook underneath the front end? I have an '04 4WD, and on one side of the skidplate is a hook. The opposite/other side just has a bracket.

So now I'm curious. I assume the hook is for recovery straps, but why only one?

Would someone please educate me? Thanks.
You get one cuz two cost more...

Be glad Toyota gave you one on the front. Now install one on the back of your truck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
its there for shipping.

·
Registered
422 Posts
4307 said:
its there for shipping.

Is the hook for shipping too or are you talking about the piece of angled plate with the hole cut in it?
Two different things.

The hook is a real recovery point but the piece of angled steel with the hole cut into it is for shipping. Never use the shipping part as a recovery point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
why not use the angled plate with the hole in it? could you use it with a shackle?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I thought that was weird too when I first saw only one under there.

How well does that OEM hook hold up to the mighty forces of recovery?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
partyman66 said:
I thought that was weird too when I first saw only one under there.

How well does that OEM hook hold up to the mighty forces of recovery?
The hook is fine... the frame bends if you don't pull straight with the frame... a side load just plays hell on the frame.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
The hook is fine... the frame bends if you don't pull straight with the frame... a side load just plays hell on the frame.

very true.........I bent them on both my trucks........oops!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
The one hook you do have isn't very good for recovery use. It's too small. You need to fashion yourself some better recovery points if you're gonna wheel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
SCtacoman said:
why not use the angled plate with the hole in it? could you use it with a shackle?

Gosh, I have no experience myself but I have read in a few recovery books “never use the tie-down hardware for recovery”. Too weak, not rated for recovery and could lead to a dangerous scenario.
And I hope we all know how dangerous recovery can be and how important safety is while performing recovery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so i have aftermarket recovery hooks to mount but i cannot get the factory ones off on the front and i dont see where you can access the nut that keeps the bolt there and how i will be able to put these hooks on. any ideas?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
SCtacoman said:
so i have aftermarket recovery hooks to mount but i cannot get the factory ones off on the front and i dont see where you can access the nut that keeps the bolt there and how i will be able to put these hooks on. any ideas?
Have a bowl of Wheaties and try again ;)...

Spray it with some break-free... let it soak a day or so

It's a captured nut... U don't have to worry 'bout that end...

·
Registered
52 Posts
alrighty ill give that a try why dont they just go ahead and make them lifted with arb bumbers and such? it would make life a lot easier on some of us

·
Registered
358 Posts
You could also try heat... a small torch works great for that.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
The nuts are welded in place. Soak it with PB blaster then wrench it like a man or get a cheater. LOL

·
Registered
602 Posts
I cheated when I had to take my hooks off, I took it down to the local mechanics and asked them to use their compression wrench on it, 5 minutes and zero dollars later they were off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
use a cheater bar and some penetrating oil and it should come right off

1 - 20 of 52 Posts