TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the small amount of pics i found of marlins longbed thats bobbed i had a friend pshop it on my truck. What do you think?

The pros
Less to smash.

i always clip it on stuff right before the tail light and this would fix that.

Would make rust removal easier.

The cons.
With my can back going on soon i will loose the foot of sleep space i like with having the 7 foot bed.

Storage area becomes smaller.

I dont know if im able to still load stuff in it like before.

Shackles will hang out once i do the longer rear leafs.

more grinding and filler.-pro is its behind armor and will look good even if the armor takes abuse.

have to notch the bumper for the shackles.

IDK what to do...Looks freakin sweet tho. :confused:

what would you do if this was your daily/winter beater that sees the trail a bunch. Its going to be painted in the next few weeks so i need to get going if im going to do it.

Thanks
Russell

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add that im cutting off the bottom as high as the tailgate will allow and the bumper will be up higher either way with the tire rack

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Dooo it.

No problem with sleeping in the shorter bed...just bunk down diagonal and date petite girls.

Looks-wise, I think it's a winner...performance wise I'd do it on my own truck if I weren't stubbornly clinging to the custom rear bumper. So much less to hang up on the trail.

Hey, in a few weeks I'll have no garage and no truck projects :( if you want a hand.

-Sean

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good im going to start on rust repair and prepping the new pannels to make it easier also gotta do Troys stuff. My stupid truck broke the night i went up to get the shop ready...Ubolt so i left it and fixed it the next day....On the way home radiator blew apart so i have it all out chasing sounds and im in need of timing stuff....Lexi is going to be down for a few weeks. :(

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Dood, that is one reason why i wont bob my 4runner, but if i had a truck, I would bob it. But do it after your springs are on so you know how much to chomp off then add your bumper and order your can-back

·
Registered
898 Posts
i like it a lot. and seems smart for you considering the damage you normally see.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
+1 for bobbing it. I'm glad I did mine, I just wish I had more time to finish it and a garage to finish it in. If that's the bobbed picture, you'll have plenty of room. My tool box and spare take up 90% of my space.

Do you have a "before" picture to compare it to?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

^before

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do it. It's a shame because I've always thought the long bed yota pre-tacos were sexy looking...but, proportionately, it's looks very tough with the shorter bed.
Do it dude, but do it right.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Looks much better bobbed. I would definately do it!
You could link the rear while your at it and that would solve most of your issues. The bumper wouldn't have to be notched and the shackles wouldn't stick out anymore.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
hell i just bought my 00 taco and its one of the first things planned along with armor.

bob it... clearance it, and dont look back

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It can be done cheap, but to do it properly it definately costs some money
what else do i need to do to make sure its done properly?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
what else do i need to do to make sure its done properly?
there have been multiple ways from what ive seen.

People say some of that black/chrome universal vehicle trim molding along the lower edges will help from the bedsides 'flapping' in the wind. Some people get a 1/8th steel rod and heat it/fit it, then weld it. Then weld it all back together, grind it down, feather out the paint, a little bit of mud to make sure its good and straight (mud shouldnt be more then 1/16th of an inch thick IMO) then prime it, block it, and its ready for paint.

It wont cost you more then $100 realistically, unless you're planning to repaint the whole bedside and what not, even then, you can paint yourself so it wouldnt be much more of a deal.

Only thing that concerns me about doing mine at the moment... i dont have money for a decent rear bumper, and my beds already line-x'd so id have to go get that touched up.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have already thought out the trim idea My bumper will take up most of it down low and Stock my truck had brackets that hold the mudflaps...Mine have been removed but i found them the other day and set them aside. I have been fixing my stupif f'n truck the past 3 days and i thought id have it done lastnight. Tonight my buddys coming down and were going to bust out the PS pump, Ubolts and the radiator and make a trip up to the shop. I only have one day of work next week(time to find a new job) so i will have time to get the paint and body stuff out of my system.

Should i add anything to make the tail section stronger? Im sure i will have to move a mount and shorten the tail light wires.

Its final Im doing it.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts