TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I have already thought out the trim idea My bumper will take up most of it down low and Stock my truck had brackets that hold the mudflaps...Mine have been removed but i found them the other day and set them aside. I have been fixing my stupif f'n truck the past 3 days and i thought id have it done lastnight. Tonight my buddys coming down and were going to bust out the PS pump, Ubolts and the radiator and make a trip up to the shop. I only have one day of work next week(time to find a new job) so i will have time to get the paint and body stuff out of my system.

Should i add anything to make the tail section stronger? Im sure i will have to move a mount and shorten the tail light wires.

Its final Im doing it.
as far as tail light wires, just fold them up, and zip tie them so they're the right length... cutting them means it has a better chance of shorting out.

If youre interested, the body shop i work at is looking for a few body guys, it seems you know bodywork quite well?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know body work i just hate doing it. I rather paint stuff. Its not something i really wanna do full time again.

I thought about just coiling up the wires but my truck already has electrical issues from being folded up 6 times in the front. If i shorten them i will be doing it right by soldering and shrink wrapping everything. I want to put all the wiring in one loom that runs neatly to the rear rather then the electrical tape mess toyota made. I got the chains done tonight and have an oil pump bolt just dripping a tiny bit for some odd reason. Im going to tighten them again and time the truck,do the u bolts and its done. What a mess that motor was. 180 out on the cam the oilpump was off timing guieds broken chain stretched,folded headgasket...Im just glad its over and worked out ok.

Body work and paint time starts this week. My truck,Troys stuff.....its going to be fun.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts

quicky chop of how mine will be done,

i think im going to do it without doing the clearance cut to it just yet, and making the original bumper work again. Until i can afford to get a nice wrap around bumper made.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
that thing is going to look goofy when you eventually put an extra cab on it
i think it'll look pimp.

I was going to chop an ext. cab onto it, but i dont have a dead on passenger side pic of one to work into mine.

I just read that i can cut 13" out of the bed, and that'll put the face of the tailgate flush with where i cut the frame rails after i weld a new 2x3 cross member in.

So thats the plan.

Then i can build 2 wrap around supports out of square tube and overall ill have a nice rear bumper/cross member, plus bob/clearence/line-x spray in re-touched for less then $500. I just need to find someone good enough at welding to help me do it without warpage.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well after i get mine done i can help you do yours i have a welder thats good for sheetmetal saws,grinders,and will have one under my belt.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Welding now.........

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I made a mess.

The spray paint is a temp thing. I have a feeling about all i will get finished today is the floor then im moving it up to the shop for grinding and mud. The section that i cut out was so smashed that an hour with hammer and dollie couldnt get it straight enough to look perfect so im going to have a good amount of body work to do. Armor back in that section will be a must.

She has a cute little JDM but now.

Im not looking forward to rust repair cause The sheetmetal on toyotas seems to be paper thin! I found the rust that wasnt showing through as i welded cause it burned like the p funk im about to smoke.

More pics later today or tomorrow morning

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
oh i forgot to add....I cut out 12inches to make it the same size bed as a normal bed truck. This way if i make a huge mess of the canback idea i can buy one or a nice fiberglass topper. Cut the frame back to the support for the stock spare tire mount so about 2inches before the shackle.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
so when do you wanna help me do mine russel? :p

i need to get my 2x3 .120 wall square tube ordered from my moms work before hand so i can make a new rear x-member (since how much i want to cut out will require cutting the frame rails)

Also, you can paint, correct?

I may have a job for you lol maybe we can work somethin for help on your car?

Let me know.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Cool man i will give you a call in a few to talk about the bed and stuff.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nate, Im going to need your golden touch on the bed i think. I hate body work!!!My ocd kicked in lastnight and i just couldnt make it perfect enough. You will see what im talking about when you see it.

I got a coat of mud on her lastnight and whats funny is even tho it has low spots its still closer to straight then before. I also cut everything from the tail gate down for the bumper. One of the guys who works in the office builds jeep bumpers and tube fenders. I guess today my dad was telling him i bobbed the truck and wanted to cut the bottom off for a bumper and hes down to burn it all and teach me the tricks and show me how to weld like a pro.

Whats everyone doing with the plate once they cut the bottom off. Once i build the bumper it will mount in the wheel but for now i left the sheet metal that holds the plate....lost a bolt on the way home cause it was flapping around so much. I really dont want to drill in to the tail gate but i have too much crap in the bed to put it in the back window...maybe zipties on teh roll bar so when i drive you cant see it lol

I still have to add a piece in the bottom section but theres rust in it so i may see if i can junk yard that bottom section.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Nate, Im going to need your golden touch on the bed i think. I hate body work!!!My ocd kicked in lastnight and i just couldnt make it perfect enough. You will see what im talking about when you see it.
Kinda funny ... cuz while your OCD wants you to make it perfect, the more you mess with it, the worse it is ... this is really one of those things (like drywall mud) where you don't want to "play" with it. the more you work it, the worse it gets... fortunately, it's never anything sanding/grinding won't fix :D

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
ill take a look at it sometime this weekend im sure.

You'll be at troy/mollys place for the superbowl right?

Bring a block, some paper, and some mud if the weathers decent, ill get it straight for ya then if i dont see it before hand.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Kinda funny ... cuz while your OCD wants you to make it perfect, the more you mess with it, the worse it is ... this is really one of those things (like drywall mud) where you don't want to "play" with it. the more you work it, the worse it gets... fortunately, it's never anything sanding/grinding won't fix :D
I know and it sucks. I went through it with my corrado and eventually hired someone to do it cause i kept making a mess of it.

ill take a look at it sometime this weekend im sure.

You'll be at troy/mollys place for the superbowl right?

Bring a block, some paper, and some mud if the weathers decent, ill get it straight for ya then if i dont see it before hand.

Im not a huge football fan honestly so im going to take the time where everyone is glued to the TV to go hit the trail. When i get back i will give you guys a ring and stop by if everyones still chillin.

I put the blocks back in my truck cause the bed was rubbing at full stuff and turned up the Tbars 5 turns to level it. Flexed it out on the lift and cant get it to rub. I should have done it earlier...then maybe my tire wouldnt have moved my fender. up travel in the front suffered about an inch but i gained it back in over all travel by putting my 1inch blocks in cause i can stuff it that much harder in the rear. its a bit stiffer on the street and feels about stock now but it feels way more stable. Guess i will see what happens today.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts