TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta make my mind up very soon. Been around around and around the 1/2 4x4 V8 truck market. I found out the titan is a defective POS, the Tundra is ugly and expensive, chevy is ugly. SO. Got it down to a
07 F150 or a '07 new body GMC sierra.

The sierra would be a Xcab, 6.0 V8 (max trailer package). 9.5" rear axle, 8.25" front diff, Eaton Gov Lok, 4 wheel disc brakes. 367HP, 375 lb/ft torque. Get 15/19 mpg. which is very good. Comes with 31x10.50 (metric) tires on 17" alloys.

The F150 would be a XLT or FX4; not sure yet. 5.4 V8, 300HP, 365 lb/ft toruqe. Gets 14/18 mpg. The FX4 comes with 32x10.50 (metric) tires stock on 18" alloys. Has a MONSTER 9.75" Sterling rear axle with LSD. And a 8.8" front diff.

these are very comparable in terms of 4 wheel brakes, IFS, Rack pinion etc. I really like how the F150 has HUGE diffs. Front and back. But I also like the MPG and power #'s of the GMC. but it has smaller diffs. Opinions? I don't want this to be a ford vs GM pissing contest.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
GMC, looks cooler and out performs the ford by a mile! :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
J94runner said:
Gotta make my mind up very soon. Been around around and around the 1/2 4x4 V8 truck market. I found out the titan is a defective POS, the Tundra is ugly and expensive, chevy is ugly. SO. Got it down to a
07 F150 or a '07 new body GMC sierra.

The sierra would be a Xcab, 6.0 V8 (max trailer package). 9.5" rear axle, 8.25" front diff, Eaton Gov Lok, 4 wheel disc brakes. 367HP, 375 lb/ft torque. Get 15/19 mpg. which is very good. Comes with 31x10.50 (metric) tires on 17" alloys.

The F150 would be a XLT or FX4; not sure yet. 5.4 V8, 300HP, 365 lb/ft toruqe. Gets 14/18 mpg. The FX4 comes with 32x10.50 (metric) tires stock on 18" alloys. Has a MONSTER 9.75" Sterling rear axle with LSD. And a 8.8" front diff.

these are very comparable in terms of 4 wheel brakes, IFS, Rack pinion etc. I really like how the F150 has HUGE diffs. Front and back. But I also like the MPG and power #'s of the GMC. but it has smaller diffs. Opinions? I don't want this to be a ford vs GM pissing contest.
I thought they were using the 8.8 in the back of the 150's still.... The 9.75" sterling is a 3/4 ton axle. I dont knwo what the hell they're putting it under there for

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Cruznlife1 said:
I thought they were using the 8.8 in the back of the 150's still.... The 9.75" sterling is a 3/4 ton axle. I dont knwo what the hell they're putting it under there for

10,000 lb tow rating...

..wait... How'd I end up in Florida?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I guess it's all luck of the draw...In the past 6 yrs. my family has owned about 6 new ford or gm suv's/trucks...The fords gave us the least of the problems...The F-150 looks way better IMO and is a smoother ride for that size truck..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ford is using a Sterling 9.75" semi floater in the rear of the 4x4 F150's. If you get a crapy 2wd F150 you get the 8.8". the 3/4 ton ford axle is a sterling 10.25" FF. Upfront, the F150 is running a 8.8" diff. Gm's is a 8.25". So either way, the F150 has the GM's diffs beat by a mile i think. the 14 bolt 9.5" isn't bad. but you still have a gay 8.25" upfront. So it's more power with smaller axles, or less power with big axles lol.

Plan for the truck: NO BODY LIFT. NO SUSPENSION LIFT. "maybe a level kit" if they make one.... probly not. At the most extreme I'd put the largest M/T tire I could fit under it on stock wheels or maybe some 18x10 aftermarket wheels. Throwing my warn 9K upfront. And in the later down the road scenario I'd throw a Detroit in the rear and maybe a LSD upfront. or leave the front stock. keeping the stock gears being I'm not going much larger than stock tires. USE: Lots of daily driving. Moving junk around, home depot, plywood, etc. maybe tow a small boat. Take it on camping trips and explore the woods on Open trails. Nothing to crazy. But I can see it getting dirty.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If your gonna go ford, save yourself the trouble and just get a super duty. :kewl:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Both are good trucks but your fuel mileage #s are wrong. You shoul know that you can't go by what GM/Ford says they'll get. The best way to get true REAL world fuel mileage #s either look online for a Ford 150/GM truck forum or ask someone you see at the gas station or where ever. I wish my Nissan got the fuel mileage that Nissan claims it to get. When you say that the Titan is a POS where did you get that? I have a few friends with all years of the Titan and never had a problem. The Tundra isn't the best looking truck on the market but with 381 hp I'd learn to deal with it.

Think about this, For the amount of $$$$$$ you're going to spend on a new 07 full size 1500/F150 you can get a used but newer 2500HD/F250 with the diesel and even bigger axles.

Something you need to look at when you're talking about towing with the gas engines is what is the gas mileage going to drop to. I towed my Cobra from Az to FL with my wife's 98 Expedition 5.4L and the fuel mileage droped from the low 20s to a low of 9 and a high of 11 mpg. When I towed my 4Runner from SC to FL my fuel mileage only droped from 20 to a low of 16. When I towed Mike's 4Runner from south FL to Jax I drove at a good speed (90 or so) and I got 13 mpg.

I'm thinking about trading my Frontier in on a F250, F350 or 2500/3500 HD diesel. When I get to Az I'm going to towing the 4Runner instead of driving it to Moab, the Hammers, Rubicon, or any of the other well known rock crawler trails.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
bosco said:
If your gonna go ford, save yourself the trouble and just get a super duty. :kewl:
The F150 isn't a bad truck either but if you're going to use it to tow with get the superduty.

My mom has a 02 crewcab F150 5.4L 2wd and it has right at 200k miles. These are easy miles either cause my little brother drives it time to time and he's a dumb ass driver. My mom isn't the type of person to have the oil changed or keep up with the route line maintance. She waits till I go home for me to change the oil and stuff. So with all that said it still runs really good and the only problem that she has had out of it is the power window button stoped working.

I'd still buy a superduty or GM heavy duty with the diesel.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I looked at used Ford superdutys. the 6.0's are everywhere and in the upper 20's/low 30's. the 7.3 which is older, is going for in the 30's. mid 30's and hard to find. So i want something NEW. with a warranty. so for me a new 1/2 ton is the ticket.

The titan is a POS. the axle is a TINY. The reason they went to the finned diff cover is b/c they were blowing axle, so the are trying to keep the oil cool. but they still blow axles. the truck overall is pretty cheap. they also had recall issues with the brake system. I joined some Titan forums and they were just ranting and raving about their new 20k mile POS truck. The Tundra is a very Expensive truck. comparably equiped, the turdra is going to cost me about $5K more. I'm looking at low 30's... 32,xxx. i stopped by a local dealer and all the stickers were 38-44. and it's warranty is only 3yr/36k. so i'l pass on the turdra.

I guess MPG is not going to make an issue deciding. like you said steve. Either one is not going to get what sticker says. I like the fact the F150 has 32x10.50 Tires stock on 18" wheels. and i could probly do 33x12.50's and be very happy with no rubbing. Just seems like the only department GM is beating the ford in, is Power/accleration, and having a nice normal low bed rail.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
All the 7.3l superduties I looked at were in the low 20s or in the teens. It all depended on the miles.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thats cool, Good Luck.

So you sell your Runner?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
So why are you here asking us? It's not about a Toyota.. I'm fawking with you man, wish you would have kept the Runner.

There is a guy on base with a 05 or newer crew cab F150 that is running 41" Irocs. I'll take a pic of it one day for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts