TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of accumulating parts for a SAC. I got a great deal on a 85 waggy D44. The current setup is just flanges, and I want to convert it to manual hubs. Has anyone ever ran both Warn hubs standard and premium hubs. I looking for opinions on if there is much difference between the 2. Standards are the bottom pic

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just posted about this on ncttora, but I have heard Superwinch hubs are better.

They are about $60-$70 shipped from Jegs or Summit.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I don't agree with the above statement. I've broken MANY Superwinch hubs and only a couple Warn Premiums. I don't know the difference between premium hubs and standard ones though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have broken one Superwinch hub, never tried warns, just heard the Superwinch ones were better back when I bought mine.

I like them better for one reason in particular.

Warn's you have to turn ~170* to lock

Superwinch is 90*

It may not seem like a big difference though.

Every set of Warns I have ever turned are always hard to turn too, which makes it worse.

Don't take just my word on it though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have brokern 2 warn premiums, one was due to breaking a shaft and u joint. But now u have to send them back to warn and they said it would take 4-6weeks :confused:. I will run warns on the road and around town and then swap to flanges on the trail:2cents: .
Matt

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Even if Superwinch and Warn are the same strength. The Warn hubs look much better. LOL

I have run Warn premium hubs for 6 years and never broke one. I have broke plenty of axles, lockers, and gears. But never a hub.

Yogi

I'm in the process of accumulating parts for a SAC. I got a great deal on a 85 waggy D44. The current setup is just flanges, and I want to convert it to manual hubs. Has anyone ever ran both Warn hubs standard and premium hubs. I looking for opinions on if there is much difference between the 2. Standards are the bottom pic

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Hey Ronn, I managed to break one or rather exploded the thing at the big fall on AA. And when I say broke, I really do mean broke. The hub guts now consist of about 30 little pieces. Even the hub body split in half.
I was acually a little happy about it because the axles, U joints and diff survived which is what I intened to happen. I've heard that Warn will trade you a new one for the pieces if I can find the receipt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Ronn, I managed to break one or rather exploded the thing at the big fall on AA. And when I say broke, I really do mean broke. The hub guts now consist of about 30 little pieces. Even the hub body split in half.
I was acually a little happy about it because the axles, U joints and diff survived which is what I intened to happen. I've heard that Warn will trade you a new one for the pieces if I can find the receipt.
Yup, biggest reason I run warn premiums in my YJ...carry the stock flanges with. If/when you blow a warn, throw the drive flange back in it, carry on as normal, and send the pieces back to warn for a new one.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
So have you actully had Warn replace a hub for you. I've heard it both ways now. They will and they won't. This one they could put on a wall somewhere. LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
So have you actully had Warn replace a hub for you. I've heard it both ways now. They will and they won't. This one they could put on a wall somewhere. LOL
LOL

I personally never had one blow on me...but I try to keep my junk in one piece. I've had wheeling buddies tell me they had them replaced...but never got into much detail on all what was involved. Some said just take it back to where you got it...again, no first hand experience so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone had any better luck with the Warn premium hubs after getting them treated? This guy Dean at Performance Cryogenics has a D44 special for R&P, U joints (including attached shafts) ball joints, and hubs for ~ $200.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I don't think cryo treatment would help die cast that much if any. Besides you need something to fail before other stuff and the hub is a good candidate. It's cheap and typically easy to change compared to a U Joint, axle shaft or ring and pinion.

An exception to this would be if you're running a Detroit locker. From what I hear, they tended to self destruct when a hub lets go.

Some say the drive shaft U joint is the preferable fuse but that is only if the cross fails and the yoke isn't beat to shit on the rocks before you get it stopped and the cross changed. A broken drive shaft can also complicate recovery in most of the situations that would bust one in the first place. However if you're running a Detroit locker that may be preferable.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I tried to have them replace an outer shaft but you have to be the original purchaser and you have to have your receipt. They probably warranty their stuff but they are a long way from Sears/Craftsman. You need to have your paperwork in order to get service from them.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I agree... if I had to replace a broken part on the trail.... the hub would be my first everytime. You dont even need to get your hands greasy to replace it. Sweet... For axle, ujoints ect repair, the hub is just the first part to remove to get to those parts.

Yogi

I don't think cryo treatment would help die cast that much if any. Besides you need something to fail before other stuff and the hub is a good candidate. It's cheap and typically easy to change compared to a U Joint, axle shaft or ring and pinion.

An exception to this would be if you're running a Detroit locker. From what I hear, they tended to self destruct when a hub lets go.

Some say the drive shaft U joint is the preferable fuse but that is only if the cross fails and the yoke isn't beat to shit on the rocks before you get it stopped and the cross changed. A broken drive shaft can also complicate recovery in most of the situations that would bust one in the first place. However if you're running a Detroit locker that may be preferable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've broken quite a few of the New Warn premiums for the waggy 44 then got me a set of the older "real" set of warns with the metal gears inside and have had no problem with them at all.....

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Only down side to a hub breaking is that it can take the splines off with it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've broken quite a few of the New Warn premiums for the waggy 44 then got me a set of the older "real" set of warns with the metal gears inside and have had no problem with them at all.....
I ran those as well...broke them once but havent had problems since...

than again my truck is gone:eek:

good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts