TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm not sure if I should post this here, or in the Suspension Section. Because I am new to the group though, I decided to try it here.

I have a 2001 Xtra cab, and the stock suspension is pretty well wore out. I was looking at going with Wheelers HD replacement leaf and coil springs. After looking around on here though it seems that a lot of people that have them are not happy with theirs. After reading this I saw that a lot of people are recommending the OME setup. Then I saw that the OME coil springs average lift is 1.75-2", and the leaf springs are 2.25". So I was afraid that this would cause my truck not to ride level, as I also have a brush guard on the front which adds a little extra weight. Since I don't have experience with lifts for toyotas I thought I would ask the opinion of more experienced people.

This is pretty much what I use my truck for. I use this truck for a daily driver and some light wheeling. I would like to keep stock ride height, but not mandatory. I would like to keep the lift to no more than around 2 inches though. I pretty much never pull a trailer with it, and rarely haul anything with a substantial amount of weight in the bed. Just stuff like moving furniture here and there.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. Also, it is time for new shocks as well, so any input you have on those as well is greatly appreciated.

Derek

·
Registered
464 Posts
Derek2001 said:
Ok, I'm not sure if I should post this here, or in the Suspension Section.
hey derek,
i have pretty much the same truck as you (mine's a 2002 v6 TRD 4x4 xtra cab with an ARB on front).

this truck is my daily driver, and i do a lot of off-highway camping, a lot of motorcycling hauling to enduros, and some pop-up camper pulling with it. the setup that i have is probably overkill for what i do, but it works for me. i take a long term approach to add-ons as i am not inclined to swap vehicles nor components on a yearly basis -- i will probably have this truck until the rear axle rusts through. the OME springs, from what i have read here, have been known to have a tendency to sag over time.

here's what i ultimately settled on:

demello's "stage 1" kit - which consists of donahoe CO's, deaver 3 leaf AALs, bilstein shocks, and a slightly longer stainless steel brake line. it took me the entirety of a saturday to do the complete install by myself. there was minor cursing involved but i had done my homework here on TTORA and thus i had all of the tools/parts/etc that i needed. i've had the new suspension under me for about 5 months now.

compared to the stock TRD suspension, the new gear provides about 2" of lift, and a better road ride. i was pleasantly surprised by the latter, but then again the TRD stuff was pretty sacked out after only 55K miles. i like the stance of the truck with the new suspension, and the adjustable CO's mean i can make things level if the rake is wrong.

i need to take some current photos as everything i have now is with the stock suspension.

jim aka the wrooster

·
Registered
750 Posts
Quickly add my :2cents:

Definitely go with the Donahoe CO's - you can get them with a severe weather finish which allows them not to corrode - I have heard SAWS will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts