TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm at school here in TX, and I've got the opportunity to possibly work with a company out in CA. Anyway, I've never been to Cali, so I figured I'd ask some you fuckers out in CA what towns you like...

Here are my options

Redwood City (SF Bay area)
Roseville (sacremento)
Irvine
San Diego

Looking for answers as far as housing, shit to do, wheeling, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
im a little biased but id say san diego would be the best place to live out of those choices. you have mexico 5 minutes to the south, the beach of course, big bear is a couple hrs away, the deserts are fairly close.

housing is gonna be big $ in any of those choices, especially irvine and SD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
drabnor said:
im a little biased but id say san diego would be the best place to live out of those choices. you have mexico 5 minutes to the south, the beach of course, big bear is a couple hrs away, the deserts are fairly close.

housing is gonna be big $ in any of those choices, especially irvine and SD
Yeah, what he said. SD for shizzle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
AggieTaco said:
Alright, I'm at school here in TX, and I've got the opportunity to possibly work with a company out in CA. Anyway, I've never been to Cali, so I figured I'd ask some you fuckers out in CA what towns you like...

Here are my options

Redwood City (SF Bay area)
Roseville (sacremento)
Irvine
San Diego

Looking for answers as far as housing, shit to do, wheeling, etc.
In terms wheeling, cost of living and outdoor activties:

Roseville is your best bet. Its closest to the sierras and moderate to expensive housing.

Redwood city is will be your most expensive location.

Irvine forget about it.Too inland too much traffic.

San Diego close to the border. Baja runs.


I lived in Austin, LA and Nor Cal. I can't imagine living any where else besides the bay area...unless its hawaii. Close to the ocean and 3 to 4 hrs to the sierras. Its very diverse. But cost of living is very high but at the same time quailty of living is also very high. Beautiful northern coast line and something for everyone. Did I mention it was expensive? :D

What industry are you in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
AggieTaco said:
Alright, I'm at school here in TX, and I've got the opportunity to possibly work with a company out in CA. Anyway, I've never been to Cali, so I figured I'd ask some you fuckers out in CA what towns you like...

Here are my options

Redwood City (SF Bay area)
Roseville (sacremento)
Irvine
San Diego

Looking for answers as far as housing, shit to do, wheeling, etc.
Housing cost for Redwood City, Irvine and San Diego will all be ,more expensive then Roseville...meaning a typical 3bd/2ba in Roseville (most of Roseville is pretty nice) will run 350'ish. Should be over the 500k mark in the other 3 cities.

Weather wise, can't be San Diego. high 60's in winter, high 70's in Summer. Inland will vary more.

Wheeling...there is plenty in Nor-cal. If in SF bay area...figure 3-4 hours to get to anything decent (Sierra Nevadas). Roseville is about 1.5 hours closer to the mountains. I don't know so-cal wheeling, but here there is a lot more malls down there:) Seriously, you'd be closer to the desert if pre-running is your thing. I have heard the wheeling down there is also pretty good.

Traffic...well they are all cluster fucks...Roseville probably being the least of the bunch.

Night life...Roseville loses...I'm sure the SF Bay and San Diego have more to offer. Though Sac. (Roseville) does have things to do.

If you need any more ifo on Roseville let me know. I have lived in South Placer County (Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln) for the past 18 years.

Edit - I'ven been all 4 places including living in the Bay and would chose Roseville over the others...main reasons, cost of living and less people/congestion...and it's closer to the mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
If you like Texas you are probably going to think anywhere in Cali sucks ass anyways so the real question is what do you want to wheel? Desert or mountains?
Well that was a large part of my thought process anyways.
Too many godam people in Bay, Socal in general, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Wes said:
If you like Texas you are probably going to think anywhere in Cali sucks ass anyways so the real question is what do you want to wheel? Desert or mountains?
Well that was a large part of my thought process anyways.
Too many godam people in Bay, Socal in general, etc.
That's not true...Bakersfield is a lot like Texas :p
 

·
TTORA SoCal
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
Easy on the Mall comment.......we have some of the most difficult parking lots of any mall in the U.S. In fact our March run is at the South Coast Plaza. :flipoff3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
I'd say San Diego. I live in Irvine, and I'd rather live in SD any day of the week. Too crowded, too much traffic, and extremely high-paced. And it's expensive like you would not believe...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
So Cal will give you culture shock, if you are looking to be somewhere as close to texas as possible move to the Sacramento Area. Not saying its the same but I think its closer to what you are used to.

I vote for Nor Cal, Roseville or Redwood City.
Do you like hot weather or more mild weather? Roseville gets much hotter in the summer than Redwood City.

IMO if you are set on So Cal then San Diego is the only place to be. But I still like Nor Cal best. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
For Nor Cal I'd vote Redwood, my uncle lives up there and it's gorgeous IMO. I agree that you would be in for a definite culture shock especially Irvine hahaha...you'll miss that firearm law mostly :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
I grew up in NorCal and now live in SoCal OC. SoCal blows: traffic, crime, law enforcment, prices, wages, taxes, you name it. The only cool thing is I can surf in the morning, wheel or ski in the afternoon, and baja at night.
But NorCal is a different state man. The people are cool as hell; you can strike up a conversation with someone in a grocery line and next thing you know your BBQing at his pad and his wifes bringin you a beer. With SoCal; you even so much as look at someone strange and your in a fist-fight or a gun-fight.
Roseville dude :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
SgtMunger said:
I grew up in NorCal and now live in SoCal OC. SoCal blows: traffic, crime, law enforcment, prices, wages, taxes, you name it. The only cool thing is I can surf in the morning, wheel or ski in the afternoon, and baja at night.
But NorCal is a different state man. The people are cool as hell; you can strike up a conversation with someone in a grocery line and next thing you know your BBQing at his pad and his wifes bringin you a beer. With SoCal; you even so much as look at someone strange and your in a fist-fight or a gun-fight.
Roseville dude :)
Probably the most useful reply...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Working in construction. I'm not a huge fan of TX, austin and dallas are really the only places I would consider living.

I'm not from TX, was born in LA (louisiana), and been living in Charlotte, NC up until 5 years ago when I came out here to school.

Anyway, the girl I'm dating, who will be going with me, has been out to SF, and has some family that lives on Lombard. She loves the bay area, but I'm not sure I could flip the bill to live there and I'm more of a mountains fan anyway. So far, I'm leaning norcal, but that all depends on where (if even at all) I'm offered a job with this company. Pay prospects look to be good, but will probably have to live in some type of apartmet/condo for the first year or two while saving for a house.

I was leaning towars roseville anyway....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
AggieTaco said:
Working in construction. I'm not a huge fan of TX, austin and dallas are really the only places I would consider living.

I'm not from TX, was born in LA (louisiana), and been living in Charlotte, NC up until 5 years ago when I came out here to school.

Anyway, the girl I'm dating, who will be going with me, has been out to SF, and has some family that lives on Lombard. She loves the bay area, but I'm not sure I could flip the bill to live there and I'm more of a mountains fan anyway. So far, I'm leaning norcal, but that all depends on where (if even at all) I'm offered a job with this company. Pay prospects look to be good, but will probably have to live in some type of apartmet/condo for the first year or two while saving for a house.

I was leaning towars roseville anyway....



If you love the mountains, you'll love the coast line here. I moved here when I was in the 6th grade. I hated SF. Too urban and too trashy for me because but over the years I've learn to appreciate it. There so many things to do especially if you surf or mountain bike.

Or just pick two and visit both. Drive around. Look at housing prices and other points of your interest. Good luck. Moving is fun. Except for the packing and unpakcing part.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,267 Posts
SgtMunger said:
I grew up in NorCal and now live in SoCal OC. SoCal blows: traffic, crime, law enforcment, prices, wages, taxes, you name it. The only cool thing is I can surf in the morning, wheel or ski in the afternoon, and baja at night.
But NorCal is a different state man. The people are cool as hell; you can strike up a conversation with someone in a grocery line and next thing you know your BBQing at his pad and his wifes bringin you a beer. With SoCal; you even so much as look at someone strange and your in a fist-fight or a gun-fight.
Roseville dude :)
I'd have to agree. Roseville seems like the #1 choice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
I grew up in SoCal and yes it sucks down there. IMHO. I currently live in Roseville and it is way better than SoCal. Tahoe is just an hour and a half away and there is a lot to do here. The Bay (Redwood City) is almost as bad as SoCal. I lived in the Bay Area for 11 years. It has gotten way expensive, well Cali is way expensive compared to most places. Good luck on your decision. :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
OK nevermind...anyone else reading this...Roseville sucks staw away :D We have enough people here anyways. (Wheelers are always welcome though)
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top