TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to get the best ride with the littlest possible money, i'm thinking about doing a 2.5" CB spacer in front with CB 2" shackles and 5100's in rear. my friend has the 1.5" spacers and the ride is fine. just curious if anyone has any comments or experience with this setup. mostly street driving, some off road (trails, mud), no high speed stuff or anything like that.

BTW, yes, i know coilovers are better but i just can't afford them right now. oh yeah, 01 4x4 v6 trd.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i have 3" toytec spacers in the front with TRD coils and the ride is fine...didn't install the 2" shackles from cornfed in the rear yet...so don't know yet about the ride....my front it a little higher than the rear...lol
will be installing the 5150s... not the 5100's....

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,570 Posts
volcomstone03 said:
trying to get the best ride with the littlest possible money, i'm thinking about doing a 2.5" CB spacer in front with CB 2" shackles and 5100's in rear. my friend has the 1.5" spacers and the ride is fine. just curious if anyone has any comments or experience with this setup. mostly street driving, some off road (trails, mud), no high speed stuff or anything like that.

BTW, yes, i know coilovers are better but i just can't afford them right now. oh yeah, 01 4x4 v6 trd.
Sounds like a good combo. For your type of driving, that should work out great. Coilover would be good for high speed stuff, but since that isn't on your list, you are fine. As for the shackles, good choice. I always recommend shackles over blocks anyday.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Cornfed makes a good product, and he's a reputable member here. I have the 5100s in the rear as well and they ride very nice. If you are going to haul any considerable load, forget the shackles and go with an AAL. Shackles tend to progress spring deformation.

A spacer lift is just that, so don't expect a cadillac ride, but then again it is a truck, not a cadillac ;) There a lot of members with spacer lifts that should be able to better comment on ride quality, etc.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have 2.5" Cornfed spacers and Bilsein HD shocks (i recomend doing the shocks while you have the whole thing out, plus it helps give a better ride) up front and it rides fine. A little stiff but no harsh by any means. I have 1.5" Downey HD shackles and I am removing them asap. It is flattening out my springs and if I don't INCH over speed bumps, I get a rather harsh landing from my newly flatend out leafs hitting the over load leaf. I am gonna go with teh Deaver 3 Leaf progressive AAL with some 5100 Bils. I have heard from several people that Deaver AAL rides nice and is a night and day diference over a standard AAL.

My sugestion for installing the spacer is pulling your coil/strut assembly and taking it to a shop and haveing THEM do the spacer install. Then you just take the whole thing back home and re-install. EASY EASY EASY. I think removal and install was a combined total of 30 mins.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
As for the rear, I highly advise against the 2" shackles. That is a very long shackle, and will flatten out your leaf springs at a much quicker rate. Also, shackles help gain droop to a point, then they begin to hinder compression. Check with demello, and see if he has any stock leaf packs sitting around he could sell to you for cheap, or post a want to buy on this forum (or your local chapters board), or evan ebay. I have a write up on my site that explains in detail what to do with the second leaf pack in the mods section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts