TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a used TM 6" kit and wanted to get some opinions about it...how good of a kit is it and how good will the ride be? has anyone had alot of problems with this lift? thanks

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
TexasTRD said:
I am thinking about purchasing a used TM 6" kit and wanted to get some opinions about it...how good of a kit is it and how good will the ride be? has anyone had alot of problems with this lift? thanks
I don't own the TM kit, but I've seen a few in person and looked into getting one when I first started looking at lifts for my truck. One thing I heard from a lot of owners was that the second strut tends to break rather quickly. When replaced with a common Gabriel strut (I think it's one for a VW Jetta), the issue is usually resolved. TM may have fixed that issue by now (I doubt it, though). Otherwise it seems to be a well-built kit.

Another option is the Fabtech 6" lift, which many people seem to be impressed with.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
I had the TM before the SAS. It was installed by 4 Wheel Parts. I ran 33X13-15 Bias Baja Claws. The steering rack broke loose twice, probably due to the heavy tires. I blew the 2nd struts soon after install. The worst part was the steep front pinion angle. Over 30 degrees. The front shaft started hitting the steering rack when I was wheeling.

The good news was that I didn't have the driveline vibs they said I might have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Synovus. I have heard about the problems with the second strut. Seems to be a common problem when it comes to the 6" TM Lift. I would probably rather go with the Fabtech lift if I were to do a drop bracket style lift. I like the way it's made better and they seem like a good company. Fabtech has been making other race applications for trucks as well as these lifts. I haven't heard/seen any that TM makes in that kind of area. I just figure them to be a better company and most people are happy with them once on the truck.

I would run a set of 33x12.50s under your truck with that setup. If you are wanting to go any higher then I suggest a 2" or 3" BL before doing so to LIMIT the amount of rubbing that may occur.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a TM 6" on my tacoma for about three years. Couldnt replace the struts fast enough. Its a mess. Im having it replaced with a fabtec in January. It made my vehicle a street only ride because its falling apart and its scary at that. Ruined sets and sets of tires. TM will replace struts when they blow if you dont mind parking your truck in the driveway for weeks at a time while you wait. Quite frankly I'm amazed they are still selling the trinkets. If you are looking at getting a good deal on a used TM kit ask yourself why somebody went through the trouble to take it off. It is a really bad design and thats from experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts