TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there using or have comments on wheel spacers?
Any Tacoma issues with part wear when pushing the wheels out (2"?) on each side (2004 Tacoma DC)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
there are a few people running them but not too many, just make sure you tighten them down good and keep checking them. you'd be better off with getting rims with less backspacing

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
Roger Mac said:
Any Tacoma issues with part wear when pushing the wheels out (2"?) on each side (2004 Tacoma DC)?

Thanks.
I have a friend who was using them on his toyota pickup. You have to check them so that you can tighten them down if they come loose. My friend made the mistake of not checking them and he was going down the freeway at 65 and all 6 bolts came loose from the wheel spacer and his who tire came off. Grinded down his rotoe and was not a fun experience. Therefore, I'd recommend getting some rims with bigger offset.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It doesn't seem like much when you look at it...but, you move the stress from the inner races of the spindle/hub bearings (where it was designed to be) out to the edge of the mounting surface. This will result in premature bearing failure. I can't say for certain that it will cause your truck to wear out bearings in 1year, or 10 for that matter, but it will definately cause them undue stress in areas that were not engineered for those amounts of force. By the same token, excessive backspacing will create the same type of pressures, but to a lesser degree.

Clear as mud?
Boheefus
Heefus

·
Registered
264 Posts
Zackattak said:
...all 6 bolts came loose from the wheel spacer and his who tire came off. Grinded down his rotoe and was not a fun experience. Therefore, I'd recommend getting some rims with bigger offset.
You of course mean less offset, or more negative offset.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you use them don't go cheap. My brother was running a cheap set years ago and while we were running the swamp drivers side snapped damn near killed us !!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I ran 1.5" per side on my front D44 and 2" per side on my rear Toy axle and while it helped keep the tires out of the springs, the steering SUCKED. Spacers and/or custom backspaced wheels mess with the scrub radius and make it harder to turn and harder on the steering system (especially if you are still running IFS and rack and pinion), add a locker and it gets worse.

Wish I had just went full width axles from the start and standard backspaced rims. Bearing wear was not an issue as it saw little street time. Did loose a wheel on the trail once though :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was thinking about getting some wheel spacers as well but am now thinking otherwise. I currently run a 285/75/16 on the stock rims. So in order to get them to stick out a little further, I need buy some rims that have more offset then the stock? Is there a certain number I should be looking for/at when looking at rims? I would like the wheels to stick out about 1" further then the stock rims.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Backspacing

Roger Mac said:

Thanks.
I wouldn't use em' personally. Like some1 else said, just get rims w/ less backspacing, if available. If not, see if you can find another you'd like. Peace,. Wes

·
Registered
951 Posts
seth_js said:
How do I know if a rim has less backspacing then the stock Taco rims? Take a measuring tape to them? Or is there a number used to reference backspacing?
place a straight edge across the back of the rim and measure down to the lug mounting surface. that is your backspacing. You can also google it for diagrams ect..

Good luck,
Boheefus

·
Registered
51 Posts
seth_js said:
I was thinking about getting some wheel spacers as well but am now thinking otherwise. I currently run a 285/75/16 on the stock rims. So in order to get them to stick out a little further, I need buy some rims that have more offset then the stock? Is there a certain number I should be looking for/at when looking at rims? I would like the wheels to stick out about 1" further then the stock rims.
a backspacing of 4" or 3.75" will suit you nicely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
seth_js said:
Stock rim 16X7 4.5" back spacing, stock Ivan Steward TRD rim 16X8 4.5 back spacing, and the American racing rim I am running had the same spec as the Ivan Steward. 16X8 which will let you stick out an inch and stay flush with the fender flare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts