TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today just sucks!! I was suppose to go wheeling today in our first group run, and when I go out to the truck this morning, it won't start; the battery is dead. I need to get a new one ASAP, and I want to get an Optima, however, I don't know which one. Currently, I have 4 sets of auxilary lights and a compressor running off the battery. A small stereo system is in line, but that's probably it. Which would be best for my application, the red top 34R or the yellow top? If the yellow top, what's the model number? And I don't mind spending the extra money to get the one that fits the truck with having to extend the power and ground wires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Id say the Yellow top im not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The yellow top Optima is a deep cycle battery where as the red top is a normal use battery. It was my experience from marine batteries that a deep cycle battery is designed to be drained all the way down and recharged as opposed to using a little bit, recharging, and re-using some more juice the way a car battery would work.

I know that I have seen them install the yellow top battery on a lot of vehicles that have a lot of drain on batteries due to lights, winch, stereo, etc. I don't think you have an excessive amount of power draining items on your rig though. I would just go with the red top battery. Its already better than a normal car battery.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Orange...which is basically the yellow with reversed terminals I believe.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
The orange tops used to the reverse polls.. Now the 34R is here, so no more orange tops. http://www.tna-sports.com No sales tax, and they had free shipping when I bought mine a few months ago. Unless you plan on adding a winch, stick to Red.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
atwinda said:
The orange tops used to the reverse polls.. Now the 34R is here, so no more orange tops. http://www.tna-sports.com No sales tax, and they had free shipping when I bought mine a few months ago. Unless you plan on adding a winch, stick to Red.
Did you have to do any special mods to fit the battery in your tray? Some people that ive heard said to get a spacer that raises the battery from the tray so it will mount to your holding bracket. Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When I bought mine a couple years ago the orange top had reversed poles, hence my statement that the battery is orange.

·
Registered
119 Posts
96Toy said:
Id say the Yellow top im not sure what the difference is.
Then why even reply?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Did you have to do any special mods to fit the battery in your tray? Some people that ive heard said to get a spacer that raises the battery from the tray so it will mount to your holding bracket. Thanks.
I have done it the "unsafe way" that envolved using 2x4s running from side to side (not front to back) with the stock tiedown. Hasn't moved since I have installed it- I'm not worried about it as I don't pound my truck around in the desert..

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I just installed a Red Top in mine and am waiting to get the spacer from Optima, it's been almost 2 weeks since I ordered it, so right now it is just jerry rigged with some wood. I don't paln on doing anything offroad until I get the spacer though. THe Red Top is a great battery, my dad and I have them in both FJ40's and his 240z with a SBC, they work great.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually the most common Yellow top that is used on our Toys aren't true Deep Cycle batteries. They are somewhere in between, the rating is Deep Cycle/Starter. The real difference is in the warranty period, the red top has a longer one.

As for mounting, i don't use the spacer, just re-bend the bracket and relocate the wires so it fits. I'd rather have my battery terminals down low, less chance of shorting out.

·
Registered
713 Posts
YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW I run 3 sets of lights and a winch onboard compressor and ummmm cb and I thinks thats it I have two just to be safe but the one has done me fine for a great deal of time no matter what the activity.

Aaron

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
nees1212 said:
Well, today just sucks!! I was suppose to go wheeling today in our first group run, and when I go out to the truck this morning, it won't start; the battery is dead. I need to get a new one ASAP, and I want to get an Optima, however, I don't know which one. Currently, I have 4 sets of auxilary lights and a compressor running off the battery. A small stereo system is in line, but that's probably it. Which would be best for my application, the red top 34R or the yellow top? If the yellow top, what's the model number? And I don't mind spending the extra money to get the one that fits the truck with having to extend the power and ground wires.
I run a d31t yellow top. Bigger than the 34, I have a winch and a couple of lights. I had to lenthen the cable and build another hold down bracket but it does fit.... :welder:

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't installed mine in my Tacoma yet, but I had my yellow top in my Ranger and it worked great. I got it because I have a Waeco portable fridge/freezer that stayed plugged in the bed of my truck occasionally pumped up high enough to keep ice cream frozen! :). Never had the battery die on me and the fridge was plugged in 24/7. I highly recommend the yellow top, particularly if you have a winch.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a Blue Top in mine. Cannot comment on the Red or Yellow. I have had the Blue Top for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. I bought it when I had a jeep with a winch and lights and just transfered it to my 95.5 Taco. No problems with it since it has been in the taco.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts