TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I hope Im putting this into the right spot. After all I do own a 4Runner. But getting on with it. Im asking yall for some opinions here.

My delema is what exactly I should do to my pig. I have serveral options to choose from and I do have the resources to get my hands on them.

For my power plant Im stuck with 4 options. If I choose to do a V6 swap I got two models to pick outta. At my house I have a 2.8l that ran perfect before my mom rolled it. We started it once we got it back to the house and it ran fine, just smoked a little. Or I can pick up a 4.3l from a buddy that works at a towing/mechanic shop. The V8 swaps which is what I really want to do, I can either drop in a 350 or a 302.

Powertrain. If I go with the GM products. I know I can pick from either a stubby TH400 and or a TH350. Or the Blue Oval a stubby C4 possibly an AOD transmission. Whats yall opinions on what I should put with what? As well if I pick the 302. There is a good chance I might drop in a T-18 4 speed. I have plenty of them laying around the house. But If I did go that route, I would have to mate an NP205 to it. Is it worth the trouble since I would be shorter than a auto tranny package. Transfer case Im already set on, Im going to stick with the 205.

Now the good part. Axles. I have only two options for this. I can pick up a set of Yota axles out of an 84 PU. Actually its 1 front axle and 2 rear axles. But sitting under one of my old F250's (Yes I have 5 of them) I have a perfectly good D44 and a D60. Either way, I have some major modifying I have to do. Im willing to accept that and run with the plan I have.

The Leaf springs are also throwing a snag too. I really dont want to buy some, but if it comes down to that. I will. But I got some leaf springs from a F100 sitting around the house and also a set from a Mazda B2000. The rest of it Im going to have to wing it. Most of the stuff Im going to use I already have or I can get for free.

Please give me yalls opinioin. Im am open for anything, good or bad. Let me know what worked for yall. Thank you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well mainly I am going to be using my rig in mud. Also though playing on trails, a little bit of snow and once in a great while rocks. Mud.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess not too many of yall like playing in mud. No opinions or ideas either? Dang.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yeah, not too many mudders here, plus most of us are interested in keeping it all Toyota.

Don't know too much about those engine/tranny combos.

As for axles, the only reason to do a 44 is for the width. There is no real strength advantage over a Toyota axle, especially with cromoly Longfields. Of course, a 60 is the way to go if you want to be that wide.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true. Chromoly Longs are a good axle set up. But Im going from what I got and what I can aquire cheaply. Junkyard/Hillbilly style mods. Damn. Thank you for your opinion though REdRunnertc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts