TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I ordered Brembo (Blank) rotors and Hawk pads for my 01 Tacoma. It was $147.00 total and I should have them in 4 days or less.
Hope this helps with my rotor warping problem.I do allot of mountain driving and crossing allot of creeks and rivers full of cold water and the standard rotors and pads just don't last.
Talked to my mechanic and he was really glad that I got the Brembos and Hawk pads. He said that was the best combo he has ever seen when it comes to good brakes for a Tacoma in our mountain road area.
Anyone else tried this combo ? How is it holding up for you?, Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have had my hawk/powerslot combo on my truck for 4 months, they are great.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've got that combo, it made a world of difference. My truck stops like it never has before. I've had them for over 7 months and the performance is still the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
im running brembo blanks+akebono pro ACT's. awesome combo, no squeal, fade, etc etc. i think brembo+any decent pad like oem, TRD, hawk, etc pads will do fine. i think its the non brembo noname aftermarket stuff that tends to be the culprit for most of the warping issues...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
which hawk pads you guys using? where you getting them? (rotors too)

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Do you get more, less, or about the same dust that you get from the OEM pads?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After doing allot of searching I bought my Brembo rotors and Hawk pads here. They were cheaper than the Tirerack due to free shipping. The pads do give off some dust but you can't have your cake and eat it to. If you want superior stopping power your going to have dust. Dust is not something that bothers me, if it did I would not be off road,Lol. It comes right off with pressure hose anyway. If I can find that article about brakes I'll put a link to it here. It really explains allot about brakes and the dust and so on. Here is a link to where I bought my stuff:Mike
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?brandid=3381&partid=78&makeid=25&modelid=321&year=2001

Here is some great info about brakes and rotors for dummies like me: :)
http://www.raceshopper.com/tech.shtml

·
Registered
978 Posts
i'm using the brembo blanks. ...but still use toyota pads.

is there a consensus that the hawk pads are better than the OE pads?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Brembo blanks rock.

I've had good luck with akebono ceramic pads too.

Get a "hardware kit" from the stealer or auto place too. Little springs and shims that you might as well replace.

-Fear

·
Registered
324 Posts
i had brembo blanks and hawk hps on my bmw and it was fantastic. on my truck i used yota rotors and axxis pads and i love it. braided brake lines will make a huge diff too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
spacewrangler said:
i'm using the brembo blanks. ...but still use toyota pads.

is there a consensus that the hawk pads are better than the OE pads?
I have gone trough 3 sets of OE pads but I'm not easy on brakes due to where I live. I have to cross two very high mountains just to go to town and I live on top of one so going down every day can be hard on brakes too.
From what others have said on here and other sites it's hard to beat Hawk pads. There are other good brands also but for the money you are getting a premium pad. I have seen some pads for my Tacoma that sell for $120.00 a set! Must be lined with Gold,Lol.
From what I have read about some pads they heat up and leave a residue on the rotors and thats what the so called warping is from. If you go to the link I posted above about brakes you can read all about it. Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
could anybody compare this setup to the 199mm tundra brake swap? this sounds like a much more cost effective and less labor intensive way to get similar performance.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Mike-in-WV said:
I have gone trough 3 sets of OE pads but I'm not easy on brakes due to where I live. I have to cross two very high mountains just to go to town and I live on top of one so going down every day can be hard on brakes too.
From what others have said on here and other sites it's hard to beat Hawk pads. There are other good brands also but for the money you are getting a premium pad. I have seen some pads for my Tacoma that sell for $120.00 a set! Must be lined with Gold,Lol.
From what I have read about some pads they heat up and leave a residue on the rotors and thats what the so called warping is from. If you go to the link I posted above about brakes you can read all about it. Mike

LOL, I had the same set of OEM toy pads for over 85K miles.....
this set should take me to ~150K :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
padesertboy said:
LOL, I had the same set of OEM toy pads for over 85K miles.....
this set should take me to ~150K :D
It looks like you live in Arizona. Do you live in the mountains like I do? please believe me, it will make a big difference in your brake life. If I still lived in the flat lands of central Ohio I'm sure my brakes would last much longer without changing to Brembo rotors or Hawk pads. Living on the desert they should last forever.....even if I would burn up out there,Lol. Sure is a pretty state but way to hot for this old boy. :) Mike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts