TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after attending the meet and greet on Friday night and leaving through a parking lot full of stinger bumpers (you would think some sort of stinger club was meeting not a Toyota group :D). I got to thinking... who developed the stinger bumper and what is it's main purpose.

After doing a bit of research (not much) I get the idea that a stinger bumper helps to center a winch line, tow strap, or chain (not recommended) in the middle of a rig to help assist in pulling it out. Is it placed up high to make it easier to attach to at strange angles? I really don't know and was hoping some of you edumakaed :p people on here could enlighten us all.

It also looks like it may have some origin with the Icelandic off road rigs that have the ginormous floating tires and an oversized larger version of a stinger. From what I read the purpose of there bumper is to keep them from falling to an icy death should the cross a hidden crack in the ice that drops to front end into darkness. It looks like some of their versions even fold out for further protection.

Is this where the stinger bumper originated?

Thoughts, comments, and wild ideas welcome!

·
7,735 Posts
I don't know about the "origin", but I have seen the huge ones used up in the arctic that help them forge deep cracks.

I also assume that it keeps a rig from going ass over tea kettle on very steep descents (dropping down ledges).

Lastly, I've heard one or two people who believe that it provides support for the core support on roll over's.

In the end it's just a piece of steel that sticks out and is/can be used for many different things.

·
7,735 Posts
Hmm...good questions.

I always thought it was to help get over obsticles. You drive your rig up to the obsticle and used your rear tires to push you on to the obsticle and slide along the stinger until the fronts grabbed. :confused:
This sounds good in theory, but in practice when used in the rocks, there's so much resistance that no sliding is done and instead just stops you in your tracks.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
to intimidate soccer moms? :D
Agreed. I used the one on my Tacoma in traffic more than I ever could have on the trail. It's nice to know where the exact front of your truck is. That way you can just give the SUV in front of you a light little tap on the glass, to politely tell them to move aside. :D

I have wondered the origin of the stinger as well. IMO, more than anything its a style thing. In another 10 years, people will look at it like the trucks with 5 chrome shocks on each side.

That being said, there are some practical reasons why they are nice and therefore Doris will have one at some point.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good insight. I googled "origin of stinger bumper" for the hell of it and got nothing but hits for stingers on jeeps. Was it a jeep guy that thought of it?

I just wonder who was sitting around drinking going "If I put a big ass hoop on the front of my bumper at a 45 degree angle it should some intimidating!"

Was it adapted from baja maybe with the idea of a big long skid plate only remove the plate?

Theory that when attached to a winch line, tow rope, or other seems logical that it would center the pull up and to the front of the rig between the frame rails. It's angled up for approach?

It's making scratch my head too much?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
That being said, there are some practical reasons why they are nice and therefore Doris will have one at some point.
I suppose I should list these as that's the whole purpose of the thread:

-Something to wrap a tow strap/winch cable around without having to roll it all the way back up in between pulls.
-Protects the front end (to some degree) in a rollover
-Could potentially prevent an end-over-end rollover
-Something to hook a strap/cable to
-A visual reference for the front of the vehicle inside the cab
-Something to hang off of for a cool photo op on the trail.
-It just looks kinda cool
-Something to supplement all those cool mods you can't see...something you can't miss!

Okay well I ran out of ideas, and the last 3 are a little ridiculous. But there ya go. I think that's what they're for.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
i think its more for the tipover factor towards the front, though everything else makes sense. i just can't think of another reason why someone would have started doing it in the first place??

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I agree that's probably where they came from, but the main problem with that I see is that if you're on such a steep hill that the back end pops up, you're definitely well on your way over by the time the stinger actually contacts the ground. Maybe the original ones were longer and stuck out farther. Most of the ones I have seen don't seem as though they would do anything unless there was a flat section a couple feet in front of the truck. Take a profile shot of any stinger bumper. Now imagine that stinger flat on the ground. What angle is the truck at? 45 degrees? Okay now what kind of hill would tip a truck end over end? Maybe 45 degrees as well? So in theory if you're going down a really steep hill this stinger should catch you as your tail gate is pointing straight up in the air. I don't buy that. Like I said, maybe the original stingers were bigger and stuck out farther.

·
Registered
228 Posts
you Can look it up on you tube there are some pretty cool ass over ends that have been stopped from the stinger

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To stop a forward tip or end over end roll wouldn't the stinger need to be one piece tied all the way back to the frame and made of a really thick DOM tube?

I have seen stingers that are tied into the horizontal bumper piece via welds. That would break in an end over. Also if the tube was not thick enough wouldn't just kink?

Kyle to your point for it to be affective it would have to stick out in front of the truck quite a bit more then most designs today really do. So it makes me think that maybe it came from the steep rocks in Moab and was originally designed for jeeps? They would get tippy quicker on a rock decent with the short wheel base then our trucks would.

The cool factor is all well and good except when you are trying to park in the garage. :D

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
Much like the bars that go over the top of an ARB, they are both ascetically pleasing and offer protection to the headlights, grill and hood.

I would assume someone with a bender, welder, and alcohol decided it would look, cool and help ramp over obstacles. Which they do, so IDK

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Except for "endo bar", everything in Kyle's list is done equally well by a bull bar, so the only other reason I can think of is that somebody woke up with a massive hangover and a boner in their sweatpants, and drunkenly thought they should make their truck look the same way.

I think it was probably someone at Poison Spider. Pirate lore seems to suggest that, anyway.

From there, as Pirate does, so does everyone else :lmao:.

That's my explanation, anyway.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
"Endo bar" is correct - I've seen it stop a rollover. Steep decent, short wheelbase, light rear end that likes to "float" forward. The stinger pushes it back, or at least stops a slow, forward momentum.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I have heard all of the listed ones before. I was told once it's to stop an end over roll and it helps to push the truck to the side if that happens. Where mine sits it will keep the rad support from being crushed in the middle where it counts but doesn't do much more then that. I do like knowing where the front of my truck is on the highway and knowing I have more covering the front if I were to smash in to something or someone

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
reading the last few comments i started thinking about how old buggies probably are the ones that started it, and they were effing long, long enough to keep it from going endo.... then some one probably started drinking one night and came up with the idea to make the bumper for his truck look the same way

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we can all agree that at some point in the creation of this design drinking was involved. :xbeer2::xbeer2:

Sean love the pirate analogy. Would make a great folklore story to tell around the campfire. :camping:

Now if we could only credit some drunk person with the idea. And that raises another question why is it called a "Stinger" bumper? Why not a boner bumper or a knoby bumper?

Add to the list of functions: Firewood carrier!! Found this while googling.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?74209-What-s-a-quot-stinger-bumper-for

Every pic I find on google is a Geep on it's nose so I am thinking this was originally designed for a short wheelbase that is light in the rear.

Damn page 7 on google before this thread comes up.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts