TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I busted an outer cv, and had to dismantle the shaft on the trail in order to get home. Purchased a new assembly from Auto Zone, removed the outer joint from the new shaft, and attempted to install it on my All-Pro shaft. I found that the spline count and diameter are not the same. So my question is, does anyone know what joint has the same spline as an oem shaft?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.ttora.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=229&pictureid=7897

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I got lucky at the Schuck's in Barstow once and got a factory reman that had the right spline count. It's hard to do because generally they don't have them in stock, and if you order one you get what you get. You could always do something really nuts and buy one from the dealership. Might even be able to order just the outer too...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking I just might go to the scrap yard for one. A new oem shaft is, at the cheapest, is $350.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was thinking I just might go to the scrap yard for one. A new oem shaft is, at the cheapest, is $350.
Are the later Tacoma outers the same as the 2000?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not know, but would doubt it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I do not know, but would doubt it.
OK.

I have some outers. If you want to find out spline count or if there are other differences I'll check my stash. You can have the parts for the cost of shipping if something will work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 3rd gen runner and I used the reman from AutoZone- I used a cv axle from a 2000 tundra.

Inner spline count - 27

Outer spline count - 30

I think I paid $155 ($100) core... So $55.99 total

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The oem outer axle shaft end is 29 spine, and the one that I purchased is 30 spline. The oem shaft is also larger in diameter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inner end is also 29 spline on the oem shaft.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The best thing to do is carry a couple of spare CV axles if you're gonna make a habit of this sort of thing.

I eventually got it down to a 30 min trail swap before I got tired of doing that crap and did the SAS thing.

If you look around you can find CV axles for not a whole lot and they'll usually take your busted one in for credit.

Inner end is also 29 spline on the oem shaft.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is that I think they have to be oem joints. I have not found any aftermarket ones that match spline, and degree of angle. Also I'm running extended shafts, so having an extra axle assembly would be $500 on top of new joints.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced outer joint with new OEM unit. Had to buy the entire assembly and swap joints. This happened about a year ago, and now the other side is making noise.

And to add to all that, I just stripped every tooth off my rear ring gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts