TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DUT (Device Under Test):
Part Number INSM-0012 from Outlaw Power, Intake System, Toyota, 4Runner 1997 to 2000, Tacoma 1999 to 2004, 2.4L/ 2.7L. There is a choice between the NeverOil or oiled cotton filter. I chose the trendy NeverOil filter. The manufacturer's page of this product is here: http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1281

INSTALL VEHICLE:
2000 Tacoma 2.7L, 112k miles, stock engine seems strong, it is a Toyota afterall. I purchased it about 6k miles ago.

INSTALLATION:
I would rate this as a simple bolt-on. No cutting or grinding is necessary. Just remove the stock intake parts as per the instruction manual and replace with the supplied new parts.

APPEARANCE:
Textured Black. No chrome, no polished aluminum, in short no "sport compact rice". (Although I do like long grain and short grain rice). Straight forward and functional design, "functional" is the key word for me. Matches nicely with the stock engine bay.

PERFORMANCE:
The engine at WOT now has a deep growl, not raspy at all. I would attribute this to the fact that this is an enclosed system that may enhance the deeper tones. In terms of dreaded cruising drone, it sounds like stock at cruising speeds, great for my daily driver.

Because it is not forced induction, huge power increases were not expected. However, what is nice is that the modest increase in torque and power is across the whole rpm band. This makes for very useful and real drivability impovements because as you go through the rpm band and shift through all the gears, the increase in power and torque is always there. You can see the dyno from the manufacturer here (not my truck): http://www.outlawpower.com/productimages/insm-0012_4.jpg

Enclosed air box protects the air filter from mud, trail dust and engine heat. Because it is waterproof, the NeverOil filter can be easily cleaned by rinsing or even blowing out carefully with compressed air or using a vacuum cleaner. The material is much tougher than the stock paper filter. This is a plus for expedition or trail vehicles that may need the NeverOil filter cleaned in the middle of an excursion.

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION:
Recommended! They say they have a satisfaction guarantee, I am more than satisfied. After closely looking at all the other aftermarket intake systems available for my taco, the Outlaw Power system made the most sense to me: Enclosed filter for mudding protection, no rattling air box lid, NeverOil filter media, tube not made of heat conductive metal.

NEXT PRODUCT REVIEW:
Hopefully, I will chose a bolt-on exhaust system that will not require welding or cutting. Another goal is not to lose any low rpm torque by going with a too big exhaust piping diameter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
Where does it draw air from?

Pics please...

Performance/Engine section next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts
Ummmmmm...
...y...e...a...h...

I think I'll stick with my Deckplate Mod with AMSOIL/TrueFlow drop-in (and Supercharger).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Good write up and review... but...

:worthless:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
tacoma_UT said:
DUT (Device Under Test):
Part Number INSM-0012 from Outlaw Power, Intake System, Toyota, 4Runner 1997 to 2000, Tacoma 1999 to 2004, 2.4L/ 2.7L. There is a choice between the NeverOil or oiled cotton filter. I chose the trendy NeverOil filter. The manufacturer's page of this product is here: http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1281

INSTALL VEHICLE:
2000 Tacoma 2.7L, 112k miles, stock engine seems strong, it is a Toyota afterall. I purchased it about 6k miles ago.

INSTALLATION:
I would rate this as a simple bolt-on. No cutting or grinding is necessary. Just remove the stock intake parts as per the instruction manual and replace with the supplied new parts.

APPEARANCE:
Textured Black. No chrome, no polished aluminum, in short no "sport compact rice". (Although I do like long grain and short grain rice). Straight forward and functional design, "functional" is the key word for me. Matches nicely with the stock engine bay.

PERFORMANCE:
The engine at WOT now has a deep growl, not raspy at all. I would attribute this to the fact that this is an enclosed system that may enhance the deeper tones. In terms of dreaded cruising drone, it sounds like stock at cruising speeds, great for my daily driver.

Because it is not forced induction, huge power increases were not expected. However, what is nice is that the modest increase in torque and power is across the whole rpm band. This makes for very useful and real drivability impovements because as you go through the rpm band and shift through all the gears, the increase in power and torque is always there. You can see the dyno from the manufacturer here (not my truck): http://www.outlawpower.com/productimages/insm-0012_4.jpg

Enclosed air box protects the air filter from mud, trail dust and engine heat. Because it is waterproof, the NeverOil filter can be easily cleaned by rinsing or even blowing out carefully with compressed air or using a vacuum cleaner. The material is much tougher than the stock paper filter. This is a plus for expedition or trail vehicles that may need the NeverOil filter cleaned in the middle of an excursion.

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION:
Recommended! They say they have a satisfaction guarantee, I am more than satisfied. After closely looking at all the other aftermarket intake systems available for my taco, the Outlaw Power system made the most sense to me: Enclosed filter for mudding protection, no rattling air box lid, NeverOil filter media, tube not made of heat conductive metal.

NEXT PRODUCT REVIEW:
Hopefully, I will chose a bolt-on exhaust system that will not require welding or cutting. Another goal is not to lose any low rpm torque by going with a too big exhaust piping diameter.
where'd you order it from? mind sharing the price?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I found it for $159.00 free shipping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Ummmmmm...
...y...e...a...h...

I think I'll stick with my Deckplate Mod with AMSOIL/TrueFlow drop-in (and Supercharger).
Too bad the deckplate mod increases your intake temps a assload.

When I was towing a load, I was moving, didn't stop, and my intake air temps were 91 degrees, and it was only about 52 out.



So it buttons right up to the fender and braws from the fender?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Too bad the deckplate mod increases your intake temps a assload.

When I was towing a load, I was moving, didn't stop, and my intake air temps were 91 degrees, and it was only about 52 out.
Yeah - it will be interesting to see how much the snorkel changes the intake temps - once I get one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Yeah - it will be interesting to see how much the snorkel changes the intake temps - once I get one.
I would think that an enclosed airbox that seals to the fender, would create the horsepower gains (more than a deckplate), not to mention prolong the life of your motor...

Just all depends if it seals up to it!

Sure, the deckplate does add power, but aws the hood open on the dyno? What about when you are towing and there are very high temps under the hood, and what about just stop and go and not a lot of air moving through...

I feel the deckplate mod is overrated after installing the Scangauge. I really don't like the IA temps I see (especially after stopping the motor and starting it again. Temps are upwards of 105)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Ohio_Taco said:
I found it for $159.00 free shipping.
who'd you go through? the website the o.p. posted had a bunch of dealers, but i do not know who i should go through...

thanks in advance :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
Looks like according to the auction, the box seals to the side fender...

Can the OP provide some feedback? I may end up going with this box.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
What's wierd is the opening looks bigger than the opening in the fender.

Could the fender be trimmed out to the square to pull in more air?

This intake system is looking very apealing to me, and may be the solution to my high IA temps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,213 Posts
Hm, the 3.4 is about 230...

I'll talk to my buddy and see if he can get this kit. I'm done with the stupidly high temps and the overrated deckplate.

Neveroil and Outlaw here I come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NorcalPR,
Does your friend own a shop? If so, Outlaw Power's website says they will give you a discount if your friend qualifies and signs up as an Authorized Outlaw Power dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top