TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to run a problem by you all. I believe my trucks thermostat is stuck closed but wanted to see if it could be anything else. Its a 2LT turbo in my 89 Hilux Surf. It will over heat in about 3 or 4 miles. I can't think of anything else besides the thermostat. Is it possible for a line to get clogged? Am I missing something else? The radiator is new (2 years old) and it never sees mud. Any ideas?

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
lack of coolant? Make sure the mixture is correct. Other than that it looks like a bad t-stat or a clog in the radiator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When the radiator was changed was the heater core as well? Usually that can cause problems that everyone overlooks. Other than that you can overheat as a sign of poor lubrication so check your oil level and quality as well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine is to in my 83. I took out the thermostat and have been running it without one.
I even have an elec. fan. My radiator is old as hell so I have a new one coming soon.
Try running it w/out the t.s.
Trevor

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Your Hilux is a diesel so I wouldnt recomend running it without the thermostat, most diesels dont like to run like that, it makes them run too cold, these engines rely on heat and compression to run.
Check the normal stuff, i.e. oil for water, water for oil, fan for operation, radiator for blockage, water pump for operation, then look at your fuel mix. If you've your adjusted your fuel mix for any reason lately that could cause overheating, improperly adjusted fuel on a diesel can cause it to burn extremely hot and melt down the engine.
Tim

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Another thing could be a hose colapsing on you. Thats worth a check If it is a T-stat thet=y dont cost too much so I would go ahead and change it to rule it out for sure.

Oh also I had a ford one time that would over heat and couldnt figure out why. I had a buddy suggest to me that it could be a head gasket. I told him that I didnt have oil in the water or Vice Versa. He said that it could be blown right at an exhaust port and blowing exhaust into the water in turn super heating it. Well after I changed the T-stat Rad and Hoses. I put a head gasket on and it was borke right where he said it was.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats ford hehehe no way around it, o and DONT TAKE OUT YOUR TSTAT! bad idea, youll kill your gas milage because you engine is made to run at a certain temp and in a fuel injected engine with computers that can cause the fuel to richen due to low temps.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pink Taco said:
lack of coolant? Make sure the mixture is correct. Other than that it looks like a bad t-stat or a clog in the radiator.
How would I find/solve a clog in the radiator? Would I just have to replace it? I already ordered the thermostat but will check into the hoses too.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to let ya'll know that I tore into it today and turns out that the head is cracked. SO to the junk yard she goes. Sorry to say but 1200 for a new head is just to much for me. Cracked in between the 2 and 3 cylinder. Any one in Japan need a hilux body? Thanks again

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem is that it is a 2lt. I know they don't sell them stateside, I believe they were only produced in Japan and Austrailia. Not sure, looking into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Toyasaurus
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing