TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to do some overhead welding this last weekend. I started with 5/32" 7018, but I couldn't get it work worth a schit. So I grabbed my reliable 6013 and it did ok. I do very little overhead welding. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent rod. I'd like to pick up a 1lb package for the next time someting comes up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i burn alot of 6010,6011,7018,308,309 at work. i dont like using any of them over head, but when you do you just need to get a good pair of leathers so you can concentrate on welding and not worry abput getting burnt up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I weld structural steel everyday at work. I burn in a root with a 6010 and cover with a 7018. All i can say is practice, practice, and more practice bro.

·
Registered
615 Posts
7018 is fine for overhead 6010/11 works too but you need to whip it in and out of the puddle every few seconds to lay a nice bead.
If the 7018 didn't work perhaps you just need to turn up the heat.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yup invest in some good leathers, turn the heat up slightly and bury the rod in there. Also if you standing you can throw the lead over your shoulder to reduce the weight your trying to hold up and weld at the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts