Registered
1,329 Posts
get the biggest you can get

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get the biggest you can get
i was going to get a 75 cubic foot setup.. does that sound pretty decent for light driveway fab?

reason why im asking about the size.. most setups that i have used have had a shorter acetylene tank. is that because the acetylene burns longer than oxygen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was going to get a 75 cubic foot setup.. does that sound pretty decent for light driveway fab?

reason why im asking about the size.. most setups that i have used have had a shorter acetylene tank. is that because the acetylene burns longer than oxygen?
You use a higher psi of oxygen. For example, my cutting rig is set for 5 psi of Acetylene and 20 psi of Oxygen.

I would get the largest tanks that you can afford/store. A modified hand truck makes a nice cart. Be sure to transport the tanks upright, otherwise they will need to sit and settle before they can be used.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
You use a higher psi of oxygen. For example, my cutting rig is set for 5 psi of Acetylene and 20 psi of Oxygen.

I would get the largest tanks that you can afford/store. A modified hand truck makes a nice cart. Be sure to transport the tanks upright, otherwise they will need to sit and settle before they can be used.

X2, I can't stress the importance of making sure the acetylene is not stored on it's side. If I was allowed to, I could show you some pics of what happens to people and prorperty that get near an acetylene bottle that was stored on its side over night. Just be careful and respect the fact hat you are handling a bomb. It would also be a good idea to separate the two if you will not be using them. Or, I tell my guys is to put a 5' tall by 12" wide piece of 1/4" plate between the two bottles as a fire wall. You can't be too careful, trust me on this one.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X2, I can't stress the importance of making sure the acetylene is not stored on it's side. If I was allowed to, I could show you some pics of what happens to people and prorperty that get near an acetylene bottle that was stored on its side over night. Just be careful and respect the fact hat you are handling a bomb. It would also be a good idea to separate the two if you will not be using them. Or, I tell my guys is to put a 5' tall by 12" wide piece of 1/4" plate between the two bottles as a fire wall. You can't be too careful, trust me on this one.
i was just reading about that yesterday.. scary stuff :eek:
im willing to bet that most people dont know that!
got a link to the pics?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
i was just reading about that yesterday.. scary stuff :eek:
im willing to bet that most people dont know that!
got a link to the pics?

No link for pics. I have done investigations and incident reports for the construction industry that have involved oxygen/acetylene bottles. I am not at liberty to share the photos for legal reasons, but I can tell you they were interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts