TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at either Nitto Terra Grapplers, or Revos in 265/70/17. Both are available in P and in LT. Both LTs are E rated. Obviously the LTs are beefier, have a deeper tread depth, have a greater load capacity and have stiffer/stronger sidewalls. The Ps will ride better, cost less ($50/ tire in the case of the Nittos), have a 50K mileage warranty, etc. For me needs a P tire should do: max towing is a 1500 lbs rated trailer, and maybe the ocassional short distance boat tow, and off roading consists of fire/powerline roads and the occasion creek or wash crossing. But I feel like I should be experiencing breast tenderness, and that my taint should be separating for even considering Ps over LTs. Anybody have an real world experience?

·
Registered
718 Posts
i would stay away from E rated tires. they weigh a lot more than the passanger tires. i worked on a set of nitto mud grapplers and they where freaking heavy! see if the tires come in a lower load range, even load range D.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ran a set of 275/70/16p REVOs on my 04 d-cab 4x4. I got 35k of very hard use out of them before I went to 265/75/16C REVOs. The Ps seemed to wear a little faster and rode a little better, but otherwise worked the same as the LT/C tires I've got now. IMO (and the opinion of my tire shops owner) a Tacoma is a light enough truck to use P-rated tires without any issues at all, and I would avoid tires heavier than C load rating. Why run a tire designed for a 1 ton truck on a mini? None of this applies for rockcrawling use BTW, I wouldn't tell the hard-core guys what to run, they know what they need...

My normal commute (for 13 months) with the P-rated revos was 25 miles of pavement, followed by 14 miles of washboard dirt, then 1/2 mile of open desert. I ran 18 psi for the during that project to make the washboard ride better. So for about 20k miles they were always at 18 psi, explaining the short life I got from that set of tires. I also towed a trailer at least twice a month during that time, often at low pressure.

The only drawback for use on a Taco is the shallower starting tread depth, IMO. The price difference just about evens out the reduced lifespan though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bet you could get 5mpg better with the Es running at 65psi! That would be about the only good thing about running Es. They are a lot heavier than Ps. Unless you are planning on overloading the truck and hauling lead, you don't need the extra load capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I'm running a P-rated tire for the street (a Firestone brand) as recommended by the tire shop tech since Tacoma's weigh in at only 4000 lbs (about the same weight as my cousin's 90 5-series BMW). I noticed an immediate difference in ride comfort on the street between those P-rated tires and the Interco TRXUS MTs I had on before. The P-rated tires rode much more smoothly, but than the TRXUS ever did, but then again you have to consider that the treads are much different as well.

However, if you off-road alot, I would probably reconsider P-rated tires. I took my P-rated street tires on some 2 and 3 diamond rated trails at Gilmer last month and was very worried that they wouldn't hold up. I believe the LT rated tires should be much stronger and better able to withstand rocks and sidewall punctures than a P-rated tire, so that's something to consider if you like to do alot of off-roading. But if you do alot of street driving, then you might find the P-rated tire to offer a much smoother, more comfortable ride.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Off-road quite a bit = LTs
Mostly on road = Ps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts