TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded P0420 showed up on my 2005 V6 Taco several weeks ago after the check engine light came on. Multiple places that I took it into did the code scan and said that unless it's running rough and I have to smog it (CA!), not to worry. Now the worry. I have 225k miles.

The truck has been starting rough. It idles rough for a few moments and then smooths out. Now this morning the truck started with idle running really rough and the check engine light wasn't just on, it was blinking. Presumably that's the "hey dummy, you better take a look" indication. I don't want to do any damage.

The shops all said that there is no legal aftermarket cat for the 2005 Taco yet, that I'd have to get an OEM one. I'm in San Diego, so I called around to shops in Las Vegas and they asked if it was CA truck. All of them refused to even touch it without putting in the OEM cat. At least one place quoted replacing the 2 front cats with OEM at $1500. The parts were in the $650 range.

Also, there's been this weird sound like water is running or leafs are shuffling around under the hood when I first start moving. Perhaps its the pieces of the cat fluttering around hahaha!

Am I just screwed?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
The dreaded P0420 showed up on my 2005 V6 Taco several weeks ago after the check engine light came on. Multiple places that I took it into did the code scan and said that unless it's running rough and I have to smog it (CA!), not to worry. Now the worry. I have 225k miles.

The truck has been starting rough. It idles rough for a few moments and then smooths out. Now this morning the truck started with idle running really rough and the check engine light wasn't just on, it was blinking. Presumably that's the "hey dummy, you better take a look" indication. I don't want to do any damage.

The shops all said that there is no legal aftermarket cat for the 2005 Taco yet, that I'd have to get an OEM one. I'm in San Diego, so I called around to shops in Las Vegas and they asked if it was CA truck. All of them refused to even touch it without putting in the OEM cat. At least one place quoted replacing the 2 front cats with OEM at $1500. The parts were in the $650 range.

Also, there's been this weird sound like water is running or leafs are shuffling around under the hood when I first start moving. Perhaps its the pieces of the cat fluttering around hahaha!

Am I just screwed?
exhaust leak

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All OBD messages

Okay, so I take the truck into Premier Auto in San Marcos, CA. Harry tells me there's a 2nd code - engine misfire. <sigh> He has his guys tech it out and it ends up being a bad ignition on the #5 cylinder. He orders it, puts it in and so far the truck starts and up and runs smoothly again. In probably 70 miles I'll know if the cat is still toast, as that's about how long it took for the light to come back on last time I did the battery trick.

Lesson - make sure to watch over whoever is checking the thing out and make sure they look at all the possible codes.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Have you checked to see if the cats are still in warranty?

I don't know exactly how long, but the pollution control stuff is in warranty long after the normal warranty is up.

I think it's ten years.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Have you checked to see if the cats are still in warranty?

I don't know exactly how long, but the pollution control stuff is in warranty long after the normal warranty is up.

I think it's ten years.
good point. Also, for the OP, have you ever replaced your O2's? not only can they help with MPG's, but they are designed to last 80-100K miles... just my :2cents:

hard to believe no one would make a CA legal converter, i found out that even through a CA website your correct. 04 and older are the only parts they list for aftermarket cats. Personally, sounds like a monopoly, you can make it a law that people need carb numbers but to not have any resources as to where to buy a CA legal cat sounds shady as hell. Straight to the supreme court with this I say!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is California - we specialize in shady, pay-to-play schemes. Heck, I just filled my business taxes and I have to -prepay- next years LLC taxes. Pretty scammy to me.

My shop suggested I replace the O2 sensors first, all 4 of them. Dang, that stuff is expensive!! By the times parts and labor, it's $1k. That as much as replacing the freakin' engine.

good point. Also, for the OP, have you ever replaced your O2's? not only can they help with MPG's, but they are designed to last 80-100K miles... just my :2cents:

hard to believe no one would make a CA legal converter, i found out that even through a CA website your correct. 04 and older are the only parts they list for aftermarket cats. Personally, sounds like a monopoly, you can make it a law that people need carb numbers but to not have any resources as to where to buy a CA legal cat sounds shady as hell. Straight to the supreme court with this I say!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is California - we specialize in shady, pay-to-play schemes. Heck, I just filled my business taxes and I have to -prepay- next years LLC taxes. Pretty scammy to me.

My shop suggested I replace the O2 sensors first, all 4 of them. Dang, that stuff is expensive!! By the times parts and labor, it's $1k. That as much as replacing the freakin' engine.
www.amazon.com my friend, like half off on all denso made parts compared to the stealership :D. and yes CA is a joke, they raise the rates of city taxes, dmv fees, tickets, court fees, you name it. Yet, somehow we are in debt and can't balance anything. Sounds like all our bean counters in Sacramento are smokin the good stuff and need to be dealt with if you ask me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts