TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a Uniden PRO520XL in a few hours. I want to run a PA Speaker as well. What set ups do you all use? Which PA Speaker to get. Preferably from Radio Shack or Fry's Electronics or any store that in the Fremont/San Jose area.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
I used a 5w powered speaker from RS. It sucked. The only thing it was good for was turning it up and using the feedback as a horn. I upped to a 100w setup. :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the part # for the 10W. I just want it to mess around with. What 100w Setup do you have?

·
1,815 Posts
good luck getting those to fit. my 100w system was out of a chp car. :) The 5w one that I had was a little black speaker (square, not the bullhorn style). No part number, sorry.

·
1,815 Posts
no air horns, but it has the emergency horn that police/fire use to get through intersections. It gets people's attention. :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the Snow Run in Nor Cal and someone had Sirens and the air horn. That Shh...t was cool to mess around with. Who makes this stuff?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Whelen airhorn kicks ass. The first thing I ever did to my truck was put one in there. Definitely gets peoples attention better than the stock horn.
The speaker I used is here: http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SK145&cat=51
And the airhorn box is here: http://www.whelen.com/pb/automotive/ProductSheets/10950.pdf
It looks like Gall's doesn't sell them anymore, so look around if you want it.

I mounted the speaker right behind the Toyota logo in the grill. I'm not sure about hookin up the PA to a CB, but the best thing for the horn is to just tap the activation wire into one of the leads to the factory horn. You never even hear the old horn, youre too busy being deafened by the airhorn.

·
Registered
99 Posts
screwdupdj said:
The Whelen airhorn kicks ass. The first thing I ever did to my truck was put one in there. Definitely gets peoples attention better than the stock horn.

I work for Whelen and I have the same power airhorn as you speak of sitting on the floor of my truck waiting to be installed. Havent yet decieded where I am putting the speaker. But the amp is going under the passengers seat. I really could care less about having the PA option.. but hey.. it's there if I need it. I just wanted to get something a bit better than the lame toyota horn. But Im installing a seperate switch for the air horn. No reason to have 100watt horn just to blast to get a friends attention walking down the street...... (or is it hmmmmmm?)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The link for Whelen that ScrewdupDJ posted is not working. I know its a PDF file but nothing pulls up. Can someone send it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What I did for switching was put a cheap little switch from Kragen/PepBoys inline on the power cable for the airhorn amp. I usually leave it on, since it doesn't take much current on standby. When I want to just honk the regular horn, I just turn off that switch, honk, then turn it back on. It makes it a lot easier when somebody pulls out in front of me or whatever; I don't have to go looking for an airhorn button, I just push the steering wheel and they go deaf.

I don't use the PA on it, but I figured I might as well have it since it was only like $20 more. Never know when it might be useful.

I put the amp right under my driver's seat, and the speaker sits right behind the logo on the grill, attached to the small vertical post that's right behind it. It isn't exactly perfect, but it works.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ScrewedupDJ,

What model # do you have to the Speaker and the other unit u need with it to make it work?

·
Registered
21 Posts
TACORICAN said:
ScrewedupDJ,

What model # do you have to the Speaker and the other unit u need with it to make it work?
The speaker is a Gall's SK145 (http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SK145&cat=51), which can probably be found on eBay used for a lot less than $150.

The PA is a Whelen PAP112 (dont confuse with PAH112). You'll have to look around for it, Galls doesn't sell it anymore.

I'm not an electrician, but you can probably hook up the speaker contacts on your cb to the inputs from the microphone. Definitely ask somebody who knows electrical stuff to see if it's possible.

How loud do you want it to be? When using the microphone, this thing can be very loud. There's a volume control on it, make sure you set it right.

Since you're in San Jo, if you want to stop by some time, I can probably show it to you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts