TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to get the All Pro plate bumper for my 09. To save money, was thinking about the raw metal version. What paint would be good for this?:saw:

·
20,355 Posts
cheap rattle can if you are going to wheel it. that way it is easily touched up.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Valspar tractor enamel. Get it and the hardener and spray it...ITs rock hard and will hold up better then rattle can. I think a qt is like 4-9 bucks and the hardener is like 12.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
rustoleum hammered seems to hold up better.... ive had regular rock/water spray strip the rattle can off my sliders but not the hammered on my bumper

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Any kind of spray paint will come off easy. Even with etch primer. Its easy to touch up when its not textured. I wish i would have used the valspar stuff tho. If you use the hardener and spray it not only does it look like a regular paint finish or powdercoat but if it sits about 4 days you can hammer on it with out it chipping or flaking.

·
7,735 Posts
what kind of air compressor spec's (cfm, psi, tank size, etc) do you need to spray that valspar stuff?

I've always shy'd away from spraying because 1) it's a pain to hang all the plastic for a temp booth and 2) I understand the air compressor requirements to be pretty high.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
eh if its like most paint ive sprayed, its doable with a 30gal compressor... you just have to wait a bit for recovery

·
7,735 Posts
30 gal doesn't mean much (except I have a damn small tank). I thought most classify by cfm and psi ( I know this is how tools are rated, figured a sprayer would as well).

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Get the paint and im down...Im having the garage done for 220 and have a new compressor on the way. We can just throw some plastic on the floor and shoot em. I have a gun to use for them. Maybe you can get coldryno to go in on it with you and we can just spend a day doing it all. Palmers and cancer sticks are helpful to get work done ;)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Russ, can you paint my ugly red crocks at least black too?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I rfuse to touch crocks....Wendy has a pair that i keep trying to feed Recaro but he just wont eat them.

·
7,735 Posts
:rofl: crocks are hideous
Perhaps, but they are comfortable as hell:D

But ColdRhino isn't getting the answers to his question in his thread. You might want to call around to some local shops to get the quotes. Most here just rattle can the bumper so it's easy to touch up throughout the season when it get's scratched up.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
the ease of touchups with a rattlecan paint job, in my opinion, is more of a maintenance thing than for ascetics. some of the gouges ive put in my armor or paint I have scraped off has started to rust deep within weeks. being able to grind down an area and dress it up again easily is worth the less overall quality of the paint job :2cents:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts