TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight so its almost summer time, and my rustoleum job this winter isnt holding up as well as I would have hoped. Im trying to keep costs under or around $500-600 range. The truck is well wheeled and is soon to be SASed so I just want something that is going to look decent to DD and yet not crap my self if it gets a few beauty marks down the road. Has anyone had any luck with Earl Sheib or Maaco paint jobs on their rigs? It will probably need to be stripped down to bare metal as I dont trust the rustoleum or stock paint from peeling underneath. Any advice as to what to do to keep some green in the pocket for the SAS.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure the discount paint places won't strip the truck to metal, or even primer. Secondly, if you are changing the color of the truck they will charge you a hell of a lot more than $600.

I got quoted $1,500 from Maaco to paint a regular cab longbed GMC with a change from two-tone bronze to silver, and that was about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
215 Posts
take a body shop class at a community college and paint it urself!!! thatll learn ya something n save u some dough

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with taking a class would be that I would still have to find a spray booth to paint the truck in. But is not an entirely bad idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the college i went to had a little one...just barely enough space...but you should check it out...whats a couple minutes of ur time?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would they let you work on your own vehicles?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I already did something like this but with rustoleum. My results were mediocre to OK but it hasnt really lasted like I would have liked it to. Im trying to find something that will hold up a little better.
Use Brightside boat paint like I did. Mine seems to be holding up really well :)

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
According to your location you are in Virginia. Do you know anyone locally in the Military? The reason I ask is, I had a friend in the navy in San Diego who painted his and a couple other friends cars on base. They prepped the cars as much as possible at home, then painted them on base. They were each able to spray and bake over a weekend. Then they took their cars home for finish work. Now this was several years ago and maybe regulations are tougher now, but it's worth a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts