TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got bored today and painted my grill and bumper and sliders. this weekend i'll do the rear bumper too but i ran out of paint.

the chome was bothering me. only chrome left on the truck is the tags and door handles.

the grill is enamel and the bumpers semi gloss. the shade makes them look the same though. in person you can see the difference.
and the dirty truck doesn't help either. it's covered in dust, I live on a dirt road.

yeah i know the hella is broken.

·
Registered
286 Posts
"i live on a dirt road" sounds funny to me. i'll be painting my stuff soon too, nice job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
what kind of prep did you do to the chrome grill before you painted it. i have an 02 and was wanting to paint everything black but was unsure on how to deal with the chrome. thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what kind of prep did you do to the chrome grill before you painted it. i have an 02 and was wanting to paint everything black but was unsure on how to deal with the chrome. thanks.
scuff pad. the paint stuck like glue. i really only used the brillo pad to get rid of the dried on bugs that where all over it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I scuffed mine with soapy water and a rough grit scotchbright pad, Cleaned with rubbing alchol, then primed with a self etching primer and painted with auto specefic bumper and trim black paint. The only problem is where a small rock hit the grill surround on the freeway, but a little sharpie action took care of that.:)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I never posted pics of mine after I did it...

here's a few lame ones.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I used adhesion promotor to get the paint to stick onto mine.

Look on Custom Tacos, there is a writeup to paint your grill. I followed them for my old truck (but used rattlecan instead) and this was the result on my 99. I left the chrome in place, but jsut painted the innards.

Tip, paint all the hard to reach stuff first, then apply paint on the easy stuff.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
yea, I never go offroad. :rolleyes: Eat a bowl of dicks.
:eek: so hostile
I used adhesion promotor to get the paint to stick onto mine.

Look on Custom Tacos, there is a writeup to paint your grill. I followed them for my old truck (but used rattlecan instead) and this was the result on my 99. I left the chrome in place, but jsut painted the innards.

Tip, paint all the hard to reach stuff first, then apply paint on the easy stuff.

that looks pretty good dude. I wanna paint my chrome like jeffs though...Im not the chrome type;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
looks nice, when i did my grill i took all the chrome off with a razor blade, it wasn't too hard...

Austin

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Like others have said, just scuff it up really well and paint will stick just fine.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
:eek: so hostile

that looks pretty good dude. I wanna paint my chrome like jeffs though...Im not the chrome type;)
Yeah, it held up allright. No chips on the yota emblem, and only a couple on the grille itself, but it didn't peel around it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
phil, your prerunner looked sick in those pics! very unique look... I wish my grille looked like that...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yeah i forgot. i put the front down on the driveway and painted everything from the inside out. then turned it right over and painted the front. came out verry good in person.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm looking to do the same to my grill but I also have a billet insert. Think it would hold paint just as well with the same scuff treatment? I bought my truck used and the guy before me mixed black and chrome, which looks like crap. Should I paint the chrome side mirrors or just buy new ones? Any ideas?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts