TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in preparation for some new rubber I took the opportunity to freshen up my rims.

1st PREP I started by sand blasting my limited 4Runner wheels front and back. The only section I did not sand was the center section where there tire doesn?t touch and no one will see.Then wiped them down to remove any sand debris in preparation for primer.

2nd PRIME I started 1 of 2 coats of primer, I would wait 10 minutes like the instructions said, then freshened the primer coat. Then waited for it to dry.

3rd PAINT After making certain all spots had been hit with primer I wiped them down again to remove unwanted debris, them started in with my color coat. I waited 30 minutes for this coat to dry and then applied on the second coat.

4th CLEAR The only thing left to do, again wipe the rims down to prevent unwanted debris, and then apply the initial coat of clear. Then I waited 20 minutes so the clear was smooth to the touch and not tacky, and applied the second and last coat of clear.

5TH center caps, I had already done these and used a foam sanding block with a light textured sand and then followed the same steps with 2 coats of primer, paint, clear.

Materials. Sand blaster hopper $59, Aluminum Oxide blasting media $60, Ingersol Rand Compressor $2300, MX goggles, 3M respirator, heavy gloves, long pants, long sleave shirt, 4 cans Duplicolor DAP 1692 gray hot rod primer $5ea, 4+ cans Duplicolor WP102 paint HIGH PREFORMANCE COATING $5ea, 2 cans Duplicolor HWP103 Clear HIGH PREFORMANCE COATING $5ea.

I did notice the operating pressure listed for the sand blaster was 125psi @ 4.5 cfm. My compressor is an unregulated constant 150 psi @ 25cfm. So the harder it hit the faster the media will cut through the target.

I felt as my first set of thought out wheels to be painted they turned out 90% good. There were a few spots where I wish I would have paid more attention but all in all they did turn out well. The Duplicolor paint, primer, and clear are very reliable and predictable products. The wheel paint has a high solid content with a lot of metal flake giving you that depth clarity. Everything dries quick and looks good.

On a side note look at all the weight my BFG AT 285/75/16?s took what a bunch of crap!

·
Registered
324 Posts
how about some finished, mounted pics? cant really see the end result.
good idea, those are probably the best looking toyota stockers, coopers look pretty sick too,

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Looks good, I went with the same colour on my PC 1069's.

Regarding the weights; some manufacturers will replace a tire, depending on the mileage and type of tire of course, if it takes greater than a certain amount of weight to balance it. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys will have to wait until this evening to get a finished product. The tire and rims are being married as we speak.

Aaron

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks great...i really like them..

·
Registered
394 Posts
looks great!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome. That looks sweet. I might have to pick up a set of them rims for my Tacoma and do the same. :kewl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts