TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered so its just another pic. Painted them with
Dupli-color wheel coating. The color is Graphite. I'm pleased with the paint but make sure you spray the last coat pretty thick to give it the wet look. I'm going to have to respray the last coat to get this effect. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
looks nice good job! did you sand them or blast them first or did u just layed it on?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I just followed the directions on the back of the can. There was also a video on the Dupli-color website that showed you how to do it properly. I scuffed them with some 320 grit paper, cleaned them, 2 coats of primer and a couple light coats of the paint. It said to put the 3rd coat on "medium" but I guess I didn't do it heavy enough. I'm gonna hit them again when I get some free time. Yeah, it is sort of a gun metal color. Better than just black to me.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
nice and clean, now you just need to turn those whitewalls in :) I like how the gunmetal eventually matches our faded fender flares.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice and clean, now you just need to turn those whitewalls in :) I like how the gunmetal eventually matches our faded fender flares.
Yeah, I thought about turning the whitewalls but I kind of like it. They sort of match my black camper top as well.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
haha, i didn't even notice it was black

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are those my old ones? They look good-I want 'em back now.:cool:
Yep, they are your old ones! Look good don't they!

I like it actually. I was thinking of spraying mine. I got 2 set's of 16's...how much paint did you use?

2 cans of primer and 2 cans of color and that was more than enough.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea you only go through about 1.5 cans of each.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i hate my wheels,

I was thinking about getting new ones but im not ready to spend that much money yet

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i hate my wheels,

I was thinking about getting new ones but im not ready to spend that much money yet
Those wheels use to be the best looking ones back in the day. You could paint them like I did. I added another coat today which was pretty heavy. They look 100 times better. They shine a lot now. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yep, they are your old ones! Look good don't they!

2 cans of primer and 2 cans of color and that was more than enough.
They look good! Did you paint them mounted? How did you mask the tires? I've done this unmounted, just not yet with mounted tires and wheels. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks good, like how the fender flares, trim, and all matches it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They look good! Did you paint them mounted? How did you mask the tires? I've done this unmounted, just not yet with mounted tires and wheels. Thanks.
Thanks! I had to take the wheels off the truck but I did not dismount the tire from the wheel. It just took some time to mask it off. I masked them with automotive 3M 1/2" wide tape. Worked pretty good, just took time. There is no paint what so ever on the tires. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Here is a pic of them with a heavier coat (the way its supposed to be). I think it looks a lot better than the pic in my first post. A lot more shine.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks! I had to take the wheels off the truck but I did not dismount the tire from the wheel. It just took some time to mask it off. I masked them with automotive 3M 1/2" wide tape. Worked pretty good, just took time. There is no paint what so ever on the tires. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Here is a pic of them with a heavier coat (the way its supposed to be). I think it looks a lot better than the pic in my first post. A lot more shine.
Looks bueno; I used the same paint when I spray bombed the wheels on my old truck, I hit it with a coat of clear afterwards as well, but I'd imagine you're sick of taking wheels on/off your truck by now...;)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
joe, dude ur wheels kick ass just paint em up like this. same paint as fisher.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.