TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get the red/clear taillights for a while now, but they are all so expensive. My idea was to buy the all clear taillights(significantly cheaper) and paint the bottom half with testors transparent model paint. There were some taillights posted on here that had the yellow painted with testors that looked quite good. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it with the clear lights.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you do actually decide to do that, I'd reccomend polybicarbonate paints. I use them on my lexan bodies of Nitro RC cars... the stuff is insanley flexible and durable when applied correctly. You can pick up transparent shades, and solid shades or pretty much whatever you want at a local RC hobby shop. And a tip for promoting good adhesion... when you know where you want to paint, find some 220+ grit sandpaper, and then start sanding down the inside of the lens where the paint is to be applied... yes... scratch it up so it looks dull; :)eek: yes i know i know... sounds bad) but then when you spray on the red or whatever color you want in there, it will turn back to transparent, you wont be able to see the scratches, and it wont flake off!!

If/When you do it, post some pics!!

I use Pactra 3oz Spray Cans... Pactra and Parma are two of the name's in this type of paint, and can be applied by aerosol cans, airbrush, or paintbrush... personally I'd try and avoid the latter. Happy Painting!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does the color turn out compared to the cap color? I just dont want pink taillights, lol. but i also dont want them to be opaque. i guess i can put a couple of coats if its transparent, and it will still look fine. thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
150 Posts
dadunc205x said:
I've been wanting to get the red/clear taillights for a while now, but they are all so expensive.
Ebay man i got my clear tail lights for 125 bucks brand new.

·
Registered
553 Posts
dadunc205x said:
how does the color turn out compared to the cap color? I just dont want pink taillights, lol. but i also dont want them to be opaque. i guess i can put a couple of coats if its transparent, and it will still look fine. thanks for the tips.
When I have used it on my RC Lexan bodies, it's pretty accurate. The only thing you have to watch for, is when you start mixing colors, for whatever reason you may do that (doubtful but hey)... then things start to get hairy!:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts