TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to paint my fiberglass fenders soon and I want some advice. I got a set of fenders a few months ago and haven’t put them on yet because I haven’t painted them. The person I bought them from spray painted them black (basic paint, not automotive). I want to make sure I have my procedure right.

1. Scuff up the fenders w/ some 200 sand-paper

2. Several coats of primer

3. Sand once more with high grit sand-paper (what grit?)

4. Several coats of paint

5. ???????????

At this point, I’m not sure what to do next. Do I wet sand then clear? Do I clear then wet sand? Do I wet sand, one more coat of color, then clear? I know that after I figure out the paint, wet sand, and clear process I need to wait for everything to set and then I come back and buff. Any help would be great. Also, about how many cans of automotive spray paint do I need to two front fenders? Thanks

P.s. I searched, but for some reason its not working for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you would wet sand after you clear with 1500 or 2000 grit paper.then you will need to polish them with a cutting and polishing compound you need to make sure that the new paint is compatible with the old paint. or it coul all come apart.
Rusty

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I really want to do the fenders my self. I know that I won't do a job even close to what a body shop will do, but I like doing these kind of things myself and it a desert truck so it will get scratched up. I don't want to spend a whole lot.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
You need:
Medium sandpaper
Superfine grit sandpaper
Gloves
Long sleeve shirt
Respirator
Goggles
Primer
Paint

Not necessarily in that order but you need to sand down the fenders with medium-fine grit sandpaper. You don't need 200 for that. Then about 2 coats of primer just to be sure (get wet-sand primer and use the super fine grit here) then I would say 2 coats of whatever color you need (green) then a coat of clear if you want them to be more scratch resistant.

So to get the paint, go here:

http://www.expresspaint.com/

And this is what you get:

Most importantly, take your time. Sanding it and painting takes longer than you think. Remember that you only do it once so do it right otherwise you'll be wasting more time doing it again.
:D anything else?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
GreenTaco said:
Thanks for the help. I really want to do the fenders my self. I know that I won't do a job even close to what a body shop will do, but I like doing these kind of things myself and it a desert truck so it will get scratched up. I don't want to spend a whole lot.
True!! Tweeter knows what he is doing, I would listen to him. Also if you can, call up a body shop and ask them for some advise. Couldnt hurt>??

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I would recommend using a paint gun if you have one at your disposal but the great thing about that site is they give you dealer paint in spray cans if need be, so it will exactly match your truck once you get your paint code, and it explains how to do that on the website. PM me if you got any questions or need any numbers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a crappy Huskey spray gun that I got with my 25 gallon compressor. I was thinking of using it, but have no idea on how to use it. Do you just put paint in or do you mix the paint with something else? How much time do you wait in between coats (paint & clear)?

Also, Tweeter, did you wet sand after you were done with the clear?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whenever I used a paint gun. I had to mix the paint with a catalyst so that the paint will dry after applying it, but after you mix the paint and the catalyst together you only have like a day or 2 before the paint hardens on its own in the container.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I suggest sanding off ALL of the old paint, the solvents in a good auto paint, especially a two part primer and urethane paint, will eat rattle can paint right off.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
GreenTaco said:
I have a crappy Huskey spray gun that I got with my 25 gallon compressor. I was thinking of using it, but have no idea on how to use it. Do you just put paint in or do you mix the paint with something else? How much time do you wait in between coats (paint & clear)?

Also, Tweeter, did you wet sand after you were done with the clear?

Just ask around the So Cal guys for a paint gun I'm sure some one can hook you up. If not, spray cans come out just as nice if you've talented and got a bionic finger ;) Some paints need a catalyst and some come with it mixed in but it dries fast once it's added keep that in mind. I didn't use a catalyst I just let it dry on it's own. Umm depends what paint you use, but I waited a little over an hour. Just test one part of the fender (underside at bottom of wheel well) cause I know no one would look there and since the sun didn't hit it I knew it'd dry last. As for the clear coar and paint I didn't use clear coat actually that's just the black sand pearl on its own. My passenger side is scratched to hell. It's much easier to tell in person but the fender is pretty striped up. It's a offroad truck so I got over it quick haha.

I wetsand when I added the primer with superfine grit just to make sure it got a good contact. You don't NEED to wetsand it by any means just sand the gel coat BEFORE you primer it is pretty big. It gets off all the crap and ensures the paint will stick. I'm just a little anal about certain things :D I'm waiting for yoTracer to chime in...any time now Derek :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
ryguy said:
True!! Tweeter knows what he is doing, I would listen to him.
I think hell just froze over :rolleyes: :lmao:

In all seriousness it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. And the part I was talking about testing was the skinny part that bolts under the body near the front door hinge. You'll understand. But be sure to FIT your fenders to your liking BEFORE you paint them. I'd hate to see a nice set of fenders get chewed up after a nice paint job. And keep in mind when fitting them leave them out in the sun or use a heat gun (for hockey sticks) which helped mold mine a little better. Little "massaging" if you will. And also, you don't need ALL the bolts you removed from the stock fenders to get it to work. I only have about 3-4 bolts holding my fenders on, literally. Just something to keep in mind. Anything else let me know.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
One last question. Did you use spray can or gun? If can, how many cans did you use. If gun what how much paint did you use (pint, 1/2 pint, etc)?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
GreenTaco said:
One last question. Did you use spray can or gun? If can, how many cans did you use. If gun what how much paint did you use (pint, 1/2 pint, etc)?
Spray can for sure :D

I'm sure someone on here could help you out with the spray gun question...anyone?!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats a great offer, but I just got my paint. Sorry. Hope you can find someone. I'll be painting either this weekend or next.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey g'luck Brian! post some pics up when youre done!

BTW Tweeter, when you posted new pics of your truck i really didnt notice you fenders, but after closer inspection YOU really did a good job...looks very clean!

~MARK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts