TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda a gay question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Anyone familiar with painting plastic? More so interior pieces which I guess are a bit different than regular plastic because they are not perfectly smooth. Just looking for general info such as paint used, techniques to prep etc.

Ryan

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
SAStoy said:
Kinda a gay question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Anyone familiar with painting plastic? More so interior pieces which I guess are a bit different than regular plastic because they are not perfectly smooth. Just looking for general info such as paint used, techniques to prep etc.

Ryan
Techique = spray paint,
prep = sanding.. which sucks cause the interior bits are textured, and you don't really want to sand that off.. maybe there is some sort of plastic etching solution out there? Go talk to the guys at your local hardware store..

·
Registered
121 Posts
bondo and sand. it should stick. prime paint

other then that. sand sand sand sand, plastic promoter, high build primer, paint, clear.

Justin

·
Registered
279 Posts
Key to everything involving painting is prep work. You can have the best paint in the world, but without proper prepping it will turn out like crap. I work for Sherwin Williams Paint and we sell Krylon Fusion and it seems to be a fairly good product. Depending on what interior pieces you are talking about, it would hold up fairly well. Fusion does not require you to prime, but I'd recommend it for something important like interior pieces which will be seen all the time. As for sanding, lightly scuff sand it cause a general rule for painting is to have a surface that is "clean, dull, and dry". You don't necessarily need to sand the hell out of it, just remove the sheen from the surface. Depending on what color you need, also look into an appliance epoxy (very durable but limited colors).

·
Registered
86 Posts
SAStoy said:

Ryan
Look in your auto parts store (or automotive paint store if they don't have it)for a product called "bulldog". It's available in spray cans and paint gun applications. It's an Adhesion Promoter that makes paint stick to ANYTHING. I've used it on early 'yota armrests, as well as wheels, bumper covers, etc. and it works great. Prep is easy, just follow the directions. Jason

·
Registered
279 Posts
Another good one is XIM. I have not found something this won't stick to, will even adhere to glass. What are you trying to paint?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
01tacoTRD said:
Another good one is XIM. I have not found something this won't stick to, will even adhere to glass. What are you trying to paint?

Looking to paint the black plastic on the interior of my 98 Tacoma. It is the plastic that surrounds the CD deck as well as the plastic around the instrument cluster. Does any regular Sherwin Williams carry this XIM paint?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, every Sherwin Williams should carry it. XIM is just the primer so look into a good quality topcoat. What color are you planning on useing? I can help you out with chosing a product to work, or just head down to your local Sherwin Williams, they should have no problem finding something to work for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I removed the plastic covers on my smoke detectors and painted them with Krylon Fusion. Make sure what ever you paint is super clean prior to laying the first coat. After the Krylon Fusion dried, I let it cure for a few days in the warm summer sun. It has been over a year and the plastic covers still look great. They very rarely get touched so I cant say how long the paint will last on your console.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
01tacoTRD said:
Yeah, every Sherwin Williams should carry it. XIM is just the primer so look into a good quality topcoat. What color are you planning on useing? I can help you out with chosing a product to work, or just head down to your local Sherwin Williams, they should have no problem finding something to work for you.

Well my truck is a 98 in the factory maroon color. I am thinking of color matching a few interior parts to the exterior. So now that you have suggested a primer, what kind of paint do you suggest? Assuming of course they have it in that color. Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might also find an auto paint supply store and ask for 'vinyl dye'. It usually comes in a can and requires a spraygun. I have used it several times on interior parts with excellent results. It's kinda pricey, but worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
SAStoy said:
Well my truck is a 98 in the factory maroon color. I am thinking of color matching a few interior parts to the exterior. So now that you have suggested a primer, what kind of paint do you suggest? Assuming of course they have it in that color. Thanks

Ryan
Finding a spray can in that color might be harder. Fusion comes in a few colors that would be close, best bet might be to find a local shop that custom makes spray cans. Ther's a guy in my town that does a hell of a job matching. That would probably be the best if you want it exact.

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
796 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
01tacoTRD said:
Finding a spray can in that color might be harder. Fusion comes in a few colors that would be close, best bet might be to find a local shop that custom makes spray cans. Ther's a guy in my town that does a hell of a job matching. That would probably be the best if you want it exact.

Doesn't have to be exact. I will check around and maybe drop in to a Sherwin Williams to see what they got. Thanks

RYan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts