TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if this goes on this section or not..so move this thread if needed

well i'm going to be painting my steel bumperss ASAP
i was wondering what product will get rid off the wd40s from the steel when i'm cleaning it..and what paint product are good with steel.....

i have no intention to get this painted at a shop...

thanks

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
04RedLobster said:

i was wondering what product will get rid off the wd40s from the steel when i'm cleaning it..and what paint product are good with steel.....

thanks
To clean and prep clean steel, use laquer thinner or acetone. It will knock down any oil on there, and leave the steel DRY, and ready for primer. For rusted steel, Jasco metal prep, or a substance called os-phos will convert rust from iron oxide to iron sulphate, and it will be ready for primer and paint. Metal prep is just reduced phosphoric acid. Then, prime and paint. ;)

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
sherwin williams has that acrylic primer so u can just wash it with water :2cents:

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
i second using some kind of mineral spirits or thinner... works great to get the steel nice and clean and dry. do a few runs with rags that dont leave lint behind and youll be ready for primer. make sure everything is good and dry!

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
04RedLobster said:

thanks
Acetone can be found just about anywhere. I get mine at OSH or HD for a couple bucks a can.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
brake clean werked for me :smile:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Deffiantly clean the metal with some acidtone or paint thinner, should be found at any paint supply store and most auto parts stores. And let it dry completely to avoid any bubbles.
I've used the hi-temp engine paint (and Primer) on many of my steel projects and it always seems to hold up very well. I've always gotten it at autozone but have seen it in other places as well.

Mike

·
Registered
479 Posts
go to napa dude, autozone is gay, so gay that sellout jesse james does their comericals, napa paints (martin senour) is great quality shit, little more pricey than rustoleum, but imo they are superior, they should also have everything u need to prep your bumper before you paint

·
Registered
528 Posts
rubbing alcohol did good, I didn't have any rust when I painted my bumper so all I had to do was get grease and othe crap off before I primered and painted.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
04RedLobster said:
humm...how did the rubbing alcohol do?
Rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol are not nearly as good at cutting grease as acetone or laquer thinner. You don't want mineral spirits; it leaves stuff wet still. But, it cuts grease very well. Final cleaning is with acetone or laquer thinner.Home depot, OSH, Lowe's have all this, and they also usually have metal prep.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I generally start to wash with the hardest dish soap I can find. Ajax seems to be pretty tough. After that, brake cleaner works good. When you paint, use several light coats to avoid runs.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
I recently had a tube front bumper built, with the welding being done with flux-core. Obviously I need to clean up the welds and the little bit of surface rust that has started forming since install. The bumper is welded on, so I can't take it off to get to the hard-to-reach spots with a wire wheel (like on the back side up near the headlights/fenders). Is there a chemical such as acetone that I could use with a toothbrush or similar to clean up those areas so that the primer/paint will stick without flux-core residue leeching back thru?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Pressure washing won't clean up the flux-core residue. And "just take the spray can to it in the first place" is worthless advice. You obviously haven't seen what happens when you try to primer/paint a flux-core weld that hasn't been cleaned up. Please don't offer advice until you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sweet thanks for all the advice..hopefully i can get this bumper painted thursday..it's rusting now since it's been like raining 3 days straight here...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts