TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What causes fresh-coat paint to do this? It's not cracking, it is forming little peaks only on certain areas.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used an ammonia-based cleaner.

It's a plastic engine cover.

Painted at roughly 57°F

Assorted finishes of Dupli-Color and it did it with a Krylon Fusion in satin finish

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SAR_Squid79 said:
Usually when that happens, it's because the paint below is too thick and still wet underneath, and your top coat was applied too soon.

I've had that exact thing happen to me once when applying clear coat.
The pic above is a one-and-only coat. So it is just too thick?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Usually when that happens, it's because the paint below is too thick and still wet underneath, and your top coat was applied too soon.

I've had that exact thing happen to me once when applying clear coat.

If that's your one and only coat then I would have to say that yes - it's probably because it's too thick.

Question - did you apply any sort of heat to it in an attempt to make it dry faster?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Hmmmm - well then you got me. Either way - just let it dry, sand it down and repaint it in light coats. 2 light coats are better than 1 heavy coat. Maybe use a solvent based primer coat too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
usually why that happens, it you didnt give enough time for the main color to dry on its last coat, and put the clear coat on too soon

either that or you didnt shake the clear coat enough.

·
Registered
397 Posts
to much to quick..

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Im assuming that your rattle canning it...

Heat up the cans in a bucket of hot water... and try to warm the surface to help... Painting cold can also create cracks like that in painting plastic.. too cold can't bond to the material...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts