TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is regarding suspension systems on 4Runners. If it doesn't belong here please kindly let me know. I also did a search and did not find an answer to my question, so here it goes.

Why does the stock 4Runner rear suspension have a panhard bar and what would be the effect if it is removed?

What I think I know is on a parallel 4 link a panhard bar must be used. Its the bar that runs horizontally across the vehicle connecting the axle to the frame. Its required to limit the axle travel to only up and down movement, however it will induce a slight amount of side to side movement during suspension travel.

On a triangulated 4 link, simular to what the 4Runner has, the upper links keep the axle from rotating, keeping the pinion angle as constant as possible and the bottom 2 links keep the axle in place front to back. So this is where I'm confused, why the need for a panhard bar?

Thanks for constructive options and knowledge.

·
Registered
361 Posts
its what centers the axle underneath and makes it trac straight, only way to get rid of one is with a 3 link with wishbone setup. or go leafs. you remove the track bar and your axle is going to bend what is left of the other 4 links and bye bye axle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts